Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
Arts and Humanities
Terms in this set (38)
1. What are Indo-European languages?
• Languages that originated from Central Asia (Turkey, Eastern Europe). Spread out to Asia and Europe.
2. How can we reconstruct a Proto-Indo European Language (PIE)?
• By looking at the similarities, between modern day Indo-European languages.
3. What can we learn about the early Indo-Europeans by studying their language? (Choose all that apply.)
• It can also help give a sense of their culture, ethnicity, their everyday activities. For example, snow is a similar word in many languages showing that it most probably snowed where the language originated.
4. In what time period began the process of differentiation of Indo-European languages?
• 4000 BC
5. What is Vulgar Latin?
• Latin that was spoken in Ancient Rome. Most people spoke it and not many new how to write.
6. What are sources for Vulgar Latin?
• Few old texts, mention of it in classic texts, looking at proto romance languages.
7. Which European languages are not Indo-European?
• Finnish, Estonian, Hungarian, Basque, Turkish
8. Which languages are part of the Western Romance language branch?
• French, Spanish
9. What lead to the development that finally resulted in the emergence of modern Romance languages?
• The collapse of the unified Roman empire eventually led to
10. After Spanish, which ones are the most widely spoken Romance languages?
• Portuguese and French
11. Which official language of Spain is NOT a Romance language?
12. What branch of Romance Languages does Romanian belong to?
• Eastern Romance Languages
What would the respective infinitives for the Spanish verb "visitar" be in Italian and in French and Romanian?
Romanian: a visita
a) What change illustrated in chart A has happened in both Spanish and Italian?
• us o
• us o
b) What change illustrated in chart A has only happened in Italian?
c) What changes illustrated in chart B has happened in Romanian, but not in Italian or Spanish?
15. What does "Di dove sei?" mean in English?
• Where are you from
16. How can we identify a masculine noun in Italian?
• If the noun ends in o. We can also look at the articles
17. What is the plural of "biscotto"?
18. What time is it: "Sono le nove e mezzo."?
19. When you order a "Venti"-size coffee at Starbuck's, what are you literally asking for?
• 20 oz coffee
20. What is a possible response to "Come stai?"
• Sono buono
21. Which days come before and after martedì?
• Lundei: Monday
• Miercoledi: Wednesday
What is an appropriate response to "Grazie."?
• Non è niente.
23. How do you pronounce the letter combination CHE in Italian?
24. How do you pronounce the word GNIOCCHI in Italian?
• The g is silent
25. The sentence "Si parla inglese." features a grammatical structure we can also find in Spanish. Which one?
26. Look at the sentences below. What two grammatical phenomena can you observe in Romanian nouns that are different from both English and Spanish?
• The noun changes based on its role in the sentence.
27. What does the Romanian phrase "Noapte bună!" mean?
• Good night
28. The Romanian word for sun, "soare" developed from Lat. " sole". What are the 2 changes that are typical for Romanian that we can observe from Latin?
• Ooa and lr
29. Translate the Romanian sentence "Ea cântă bine." into Spanish.
• Ella canta bien
30. The underlined words in this Romanian sentence express a future tense: "Ea va fi un copil foarte inteligent." What equivalent does this construction have in Spanish?
• Será un niño muy inteligente. (It will be an intelligent son)
31. How can we explain the diverse vocabulary and grammar of Romanian?
• It has influence from various regions and languages such as Latin and Slavic. Since it so eastern and far removed from other countries a lot of influence comes from non-romance languages
32. What is the French number "quatre-vingt-douze" in English?
33. Which part of the word "aujourd'hui" in French corresponds with Spanish "hoy"?
• Hui is similar to the word hoy.
34. What could be a possible answer to "Comment ça va?"
• Ca va bien.
35. Which French letter combination would be pronounced as [oa]?
36. What does "S'il vous plait." literally mean (word by word)?
• If it pleases you
Sets found in the same folder
Literary Terms Set 1
Literary Terms Set 2
Literary Terms Sets 3
Sets with similar terms
Ling world Languages
AQA English Language - Language Change
ABC Final A-Z & English History
FLNG Test 3
Other sets by this creator
Other Quizlet sets
Business Chapter 4 Quiz
Review-Test on Intro to Apologetics
Accounting - Income Statement - Terms
Reston Week 4 Angular