Create an account
observations of egg in distilled water
the egg gained weight because the concentration of the egg, 14%, is hypertonic to the water. Water moves by osmosis from an area of higher concentration into an area of lower water concentration
observation of egg in 30% sucrose
the egg lost weight because the concentration of the egg, 14% is hypotonic to the 30% sucrose solution. Water moves by osmosis from an area of higher water concentration into an area of lower water concentration
1. account for the movement of fats and respiratory gases through the plasma membrane; 2. include osmosis, simple diffusion, and filtration; 3. use hydrostatic pressure or molecular energy as the driving force
1. explain solute pumping, phagocytosis, and pinocytosis; 2. may occur against concentration and/or electrical gradients; 3. move ions, amino acids, and some sugars across the plasma membrane
1. lines body cavities and covers the body's external surface; 2. cells may absorb, secrete, filter; 3. synthesizes hormones;
1. pumps blood, flushes urine out of the body, allows one to swing a bat; 2. major function is to contract
1. anchors, packages, and supports body organs; 2. the most durable tissue type; 3. abundant nonliving extracellular matrix; 4. most widespread tissue in the body
1. forms nerves and the brain; 2. most involved in regulating and controlling body functions
areolar connective tissue
composes basement membranes; a soft packaging tissue with a jellylike matrix
1. forms the hip bone; 2. matrix hard owing to calcium salts; 3. provides levers for muscles to act on
1. forms the larynx, the costal cartilages of the ribs, and the embryonic skeleton; 2. firm, structurally amorphous matrix heavily invaded with fibers; 3. appears glassy and smooth
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together