5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Robert Merton
- Harriet Martineau
- C Wright Mils
- Talcott Parsons
- Emile Durkheim
- a A functionalist and advocated the "Grand Theory." Said that society was built on the organization of interrelated parts.
- b Studied social deviance as a result of normlessness.
- c Created something called the sociological imagination. A humanistic view of sociology and how it affects history and society.
Wrote "the Power Elitee"
- d One of the first sociologists, right after Comte. Studied sociology in England.
- e Studied and categorized suicide into four types: anomic, altruistic, fatalistic,
Studied how society limits man and gives our lives meaning and purpose.
Saw deviance as a result of normlessness
"the Elementary Forms of Religious Life"
Said that religion seeks to create meaning in society and express it through rituals.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Said that every science, including sociology, went through three stages: Theological, metaphysical and positive.
Father of Sociology
- Iron law of Oligarchy: says that a few individuals hold sway over an organization and look to their own interests.
- Believed in a governing class that controlled most of the power. These were mad of the rich and upper class.
- explained the origins of capitalism and tested Comte's ideas.
Studied understanding and ideas.
Said the protestant ethic led to the industrial revolution.
Created denotative and connotative understanding.
Developed ideal bureaucracy
Believed in Authority Legitimacy
Created three types of authority: traditional, rational legal and charismatic
The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit off Capitalism - Author
unlike marx, thought class would continue
5 True/False questions
Kingsley Davis → Was a functionalist, believing structure was necessary. And studied demographics.
Dennis Wrong → Took a humanistic approach to sociology at the turn of the century with William Graham.
J. L. Moreno → Sociometry: the direction of interactions in a group.
Robert Park → Concentrated on Chicago studying drug addiction, crime, prostitution, and juvenile delinquency. (w ernest burgess)
Karl Marx → Was a conflict theorists and the leader of communism. Believed that the burgeoisie exploited the proletariat.
Said elimination of conflict would create true community. Said that eventually the proletariat would rebel and achieve this.