5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- asbestos asbestosis
- Asian Brown Cloud
- high sulfur coal
- black lung
- sick buildings
- a Buildings with air pollution, insect sprays, industrial cleaners, fumes from new carpets.
- b low sulfur coal: have to burn more of the coal to get the same effect, but the overall coal emission is still lower overall
- c • Mining, milling, fabrication of asbestos-containing products, removal of insulation
- d lung disease caused by inhaling coal dust
- e a massive dark brown cloud of mostly industrial smog stretching nearly continuously across much of India, Bangladesh, industrial China, and the surrounding ocean
5 Multiple choice questions
- caused by sulfuric and nitric acids resulting in lowered pH of surface waters
- air is sucked into a cyclone that has metal sheet that remove large pollutants and then the air is pushed back out while the large pollutants are cleaned out
- Organic chemicals that evaporate readily and exist as gases in the air
- chance, accident
- U.S. Congress passed the Clean Air Acts of 1970, 1977, and 1990, which have established air pollution regulations for key pollutants that are enforced by states and by major cities; these acts have greatly reduced outdoor air pollution from six major pollutants.
5 True/False questions
particulate matter → a small discrete mass of solid or liquid matter that remains individually dispersed in gas or liquid emissions (usually considered to be an atmospheric pollutant)
mobile pollution → According to the EPA, mobile sources produce nearly half of two major causes of smog—volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and nitrogen oxides (NOx), almost 90% of carbon monoxide, and more than half of hazardous air pollutants.
lichens → chance, accident
atmospheric pressure → the pressure exerted by the atmosphere on all objects within it
oxides of nitrogen → nitrogen dioxide (NO2) and nitric oxide (NO) 2 primary nitrogen pollutants produced by natural bacteria action