5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Common Law Defenses
- Actual Damages
- Void for Vagueness
- Two factors a court will consider when examining the questions of reckless disregard for the truth?
- Some courts refuse to recognize the tort of publication of private facts. Why?
- a Whether or not the news was of public concern and if the news came from a reliable source
- b It's too vague, if the common person does not know what behavior is prohibited.
- c 1. Truth
2. Privileged Communication
4. Fair Comment
6. Right of Reply
- d Compensatory damages for actual injury
- e Because of the difficulty in determining what is private and what isn't.
5 Multiple choice questions
- must prove negligence. Those who are not classified as public figures
- 1. appropriation
3. publication of private facts
4. putting someone in false light
- In NY Times v. Sullivan they federalized public/private entities and public figures of whom need to show actual malice. The court took libel law under control
- Carelessness, not using care
5 True/False questions
Does Utah have a criminal libel law? → General Damages
Libel (Defamation) → is a tort. Any publication or broadcast of a (false statement) that:
1. Injures someone's reputation
2. Lower's that person's esteem in the community
Booth Rule → A civil Wrong for which a court can offer a remedy . usually (money)
Example of Transformative use → That right to publicity can be transformed from dead people to their companies or families - Rosa Parks song by OutKast
To win a suit for false light, the plaintiff must show that → It's too vague, if the common person does not know what behavior is prohibited.