5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- The ______ is an explicit statement of what you expect your speech to accomplish.
A. general purpose
B. specific purpose
C audience analysis
D. topic selection
- The Greeks referred to legislative or political speech as...
A. epideictic oratory
B. deliberative oratory
C. forensic oratory
D. informative oratory
- Which of the following would not be considered a demographic characteristic?
B. Ethnic or cultural background
- Topic mapping is useful for _____ ideas for speech topics.
D. both visualizing and narrowing
- Which of the following is true of spoken language...
A. It is more conversational than written language
B. It always occurs informal settings
C. Listeners expect spoken language to be more formal than written language.
D. Spoken language is more conversational than written language, it always occurs in informal settings, and listeners expect spoken language to be more formal that written language.
- a C. Self-esteem
- b D. both visualizing and narrowing
- c B. specific purpose
- d A. It is more conversational than written language
- e B. deliberative oratory
5 Multiple choice questions
- C. the receiver
- connotative meaning
- illustrate, describe, and represent things
- C. Competence, good moral character, and goodwill
- C. ethnocentrism
5 True/False questions
According to Richard Lewis, which cultures are people-oriented, extroverted, and tend to do many things at once?
A. Reactive cultures
B. Multi-active cultures
C. Linear-active cultures
D. Reactive cultures, Multi-actve cultures, and linear-active cultures are not people-oriented, extroverted, and tend to do many things at once. → B. Multi-active cultures
Speech conclusions fulfill which of the following functions?
A. alerting the audience that the speech is coming to an end
B. summarizing the key points of the speech
C. challenging the audience to respond
D. all the above → D. all the above
Which of the following is not a common or effective brainstorming technique?
A. making lists
B. refining topic purpose
C. topic mapping
D. using word association → C. Self-esteem
In this form of communication, the receiver is physically removed from the messenger, and feedback is delayed.
A. mass communication
B. small group communication
C. public speaking
D> dyadic communcication → A. mass communication
Which part of speech alerts audience members to your specific speech purpose?
D. outline → B. refining topic purpose