How can we help?
You can also find more resources in our
Select a category
Something is confusing
Something is broken
I have a suggestion
What is your email?
What is 1 + 3?
Upgrade to remove ads
Unit 1/Chapter 1
3 reasons to study science from a Biblical point of view
1. Describes the wonders of God's Creation 2. Reveals the attributes of God 3. Serves to aid man in fulfilling God's mandate of dominion
5 attributes of God from Jeremiah 10:12-16
1. Power 2. Wisdom 3. Free Activity 4. Very Good 5. Rational and Orderly
Metric system units for length
Metric system units for mass
Metric system units for volume
The six prefixes for the metric system and their values
kilo (1000 times), hecto (100 times), deka (10 times), deci (1/10), centi (1/100), milli (1/1000)
3 steps to change from one unit to another
1. Turn the # into a fraction 2. Make a new fraction with the desired unit and the unit you wish to get rid of 3. Multiply the fractions
The variable in the experiment that is controlled by the experimenter
The variable in the experiment that is measured and changes b/c of a change to the independent variable
When graphing, which variable goes on the x-axis?
When graphing, which variable goes on the y-axis?
How do you find the slope of a line?
1. Rise over run 2. Use the slope equation
The 3 things present on a good graph
1. Equal spacing on the hash marks 2. A trendline that extends past the first and last data points 3. Labels on the axes
What was science called in ancient times?
What are the 2 main branches of science and what areas fall under these branches?
1. Life sciences include biology, botany, and zoology 2. Physical sciences include physics, chemistry, and geology
Why do we take physics first
Physics is about the nature of basic things. It helps to explain chemistry which helps to explain biology.
A way to gain, organize, and apply new knowledge
Steps of the Scientific Method
1. Recognize a problem 2. Make a hypothesis 3. Predict the consequences 4. Perform experiments 5. Formulate the simplest general rule
3 other ways that scientific discoveries are made
1. Trial and Error 2. Experimentation w/o guessing 3. Accidental Discovery
A close agreement between competent observers about a series of observations
An educated guess that is presumed true until experimental test
Laws or Principles
Hypotheses that are tested over and over again but not contradicted
A synthesis of a large body of information that encompasses well tested and verified hypotheses about certain aspects of the natural world
What makes a good hypothesis
1. Must have a test for "wrongness" 2. Must be scientific
Explain the difference between science and technology
Science is what we discover while technology is how we use that discovery. Science is neither good nor evil but technology can be used for good or evil.
Upgrade to remove ads