Upgrade to remove ads
Terms in this set (13)
What are the characteristics of Unlimited government?
-monarchs exercised absolute and total control
-people had unlimited power
- King Louis XIV fought costly wars to increase French power
-Catherine thought about freeing the serfs and more equality
-monarchs established religion
-devine right - don't listen
-unify nation to any body else
Who were the people with unlimited power?
King Louis XIV
Peter I, "Peter the Great"
Frederick the Great -of Russia
Maria Theresa of Austria
King James I
King James II
King Charles I
What are the characteristics of Limited Government?
-System in which power is restricted by the people
- people had to follow the laws
- officials were elected
-Magna Carta, or great charter established the idea of limited government.
-people had no say in what they wanted to do
-Parliament was divided into 2 houses
-English nobles forced king to sign
What is the Magna Carta?
the Magna Carta is the great charter that established the idea of limited government.
Who were the people with Limited Power?
King Edward I of England
queen Elizabeth I
King Edward I
William III and Mary II
What is the relationship between constitutions and governments?
a constitution sets terms of the agreement between the government and the people.
What are the 2 types of constitutions?
1. unwritten - develops oveollection of laws, traditions and court decisions (ex. England)
2. written - documents stating rules and principles that run a country (ex. America)
What is the function of a constitution?
1. states ideals of the people
2. creates framework for government
3. defines governments powers and duties
4. provides supreme law of the nation
What is the Preamble?
the introduction stating purposes to be served by government.
What are the limits of power?
1. constitution should get power from people
2. constitution should list the powers government is allowed, and what is not allowed.
3. courts decide if the laws/policies of government are constitutional or not.
4. process of amendment - provides flexibility to change government.
What are the different forms of government?
1. Autocracy- power is held by single ruler (and his advisors) (ex. Absolute monarchies of France and Russia)
2.Oligarchy - power held by a small group of people (ex. communist governments)
3. Democracy - power held by the people (usually through voting) (ex. America)
Can all forms of governments have constitutions?
1.All forms of government can have constitutions but in an Autocracy and Oligarchy people have little to no power.
2. people expect government to honor its part of the social contract
How can the people change the contract if the government breaks the contract of the people?
1. vote for representative
2. running for election
3. passing new laws
4. appealing to the courts
5. amending the constitution
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Unit 2 Vocabulary
Civics First Test
Limited and Unlimited Government
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
age of exploration