5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Who did Shakespeare marry (name), and what were their ages (Shakespeare's age is first)?
- What types of people went to watch the plays?
- Where do the richer audience member's sit? What are the costs of a plain seat vs. one with a cushion?
- What are five of Shakespeare's most famous plays?
- What was the acting style like?
- a Actors shouted lines and showed exaggerated gestures.
- b In the galleries. A plain seat is 2 cents and a cushion is 3 cents.
- c Othello, King Lear, Macbeth, A Mid-Summer Night's Dream, Hamlet, Julius Caesar
- d Anne Hathaway and 18 and 26
- e Everyone, rich and poor
5 Multiple choice questions
- Believed in it a great deal. Astrologers could have a great impact in people's lives.
- April 23 in the family home
- The Hut is a roofed area above the stage where sound effects came from. The turret was on top of the hut, and the flag that hung from the turret showed the genre of play being performed that day.
5 True/False questions
How did Queen Elizabeth feel about theatre, and how do you know? → She loved it. I know because she held some performances at Court and often went to watch plays.
What class level did Shakespeare's family belong to? → Othello, King Lear, Macbeth, A Mid-Summer Night's Dream, Hamlet, Julius Caesar
What type of sound effects were there and where did they come from? → Everyone, rich and poor
What shape was the globe and how many people could it hold? → It burned down because a cannon blast from the hut set the thatched roof on fire.
Where did poor people view the play and what were they called? How much did they pay? → The Pit, Groundlings or Stinkards, 1 cent