1. The main explanation for the difference in basal metabolic rates between males and females of the same body weight and the reason that males have a higher metabolic rate, is that males have a higher percentage of lean body mass (muscle) than females.
2. Catabolism is the chemical reactions that go on in living cells that produce smaller molecules and provide the body with energy
3.. ATP is the major energy carrier molecule in cells and is what allows you to get up out of your desk and leave the classroom.
4. Which of the following can be formed from acetyl CoA molecules?
NAD, Citric Acid, Pyruvate, Fatty Acids, Body Fat
6. When a person is performing intense physical exercise and begins to feel fatigue, even winded, and a burning pain in the muscles is present, the person is likely to be producing
7. One of the two possible fates of the two carbon molecule acetyl CoA is that it can used to make stored fatty acids.
8. When energy-yielding nutrients are consumed in excess, which one(s) can lead to storage of fat?
Carbohydrates, Proteins, Fats
11. After consuming a very large meal, the desire to not to eat again for a period of time is an example of
12. A person who exhibits a psychological desire to eat is most likely experiencing the sensation of
13. Satiety is the feeling of satisfaction resulting from consumption of a meal and can last hours afterwards.
18. Obesity resulting from an increase in the size of fat cells is termed hypertrophic obesity.
19. In what region of the body is the storage of excess body fat associated with the highest risks for cardiovascular disease and diabetes?
Waist [Upper Body/Abdominal Fat
21. Because the gene pool of our population remains relatively unchanged, Environment concerns such as Overeating and Physical Inactivity became a major influence on the Obesity problem of our population
22. Obesity problems depend on many factors such as the extent of overweight, age, health status and genetic makeup as well as risk factors that may differ among individuals such as Psychological factors or Social and cultural factors
23. Television watching contributes to obesity because it promotes inactivity, it promotes between-meal snacking, and it gives high exposure to energy-dense foods featured in the commercial advertisements
24. 0.5-2 lbs/week is a safe rate of weight loss on a long-term basis for most overweight people.
25. Health outcomes of obesity include all of the following except:
Risk of heart Disease, Type 2 Diabetes, Sleep Apnea
26. When looking for a sound weight loss diet, ALL of the following components should be included except:
Nutritionally adequate yet low in calories, fit into current lifestyle, foods that are liked, slow rate of weight loss
27. Successful maintenance of weight loss requires positive affirmations, strong motivation, support, appropriate behaviors, and positive changes in body shape.
29. A feature of high-protein diets is they provide for long-term weight maintenance by teaching appropriate long term eating behaviors.
30. A characteristic of anorexia nervosa in those who are treated, many relapse into abnormal eating patterns
31. A characteristic of the eating pattern of people with bulimia nervosa is that binge eating typically occurs after a period of strict dieting
32. Which of the following can be used to gauge the amount of a person's visceral abdominal fat and hence their risk for such health problems as cardiovascular disease and diabetes?
33. A high risk of weight-related health problems is seen in men whose waist circumference begins to exceed
34. Consequences of Dieting as a means of weight control include all of the following EXCEPT
Decrease in weight loss, loss of lean tissues and body fat, 10-40% decrease in metabolism, decrease in protein turnover
35. Issues associated with Re-feeding after Weight Loss Dieting as a means of weight control include all of the following EXCEPT
Increase in pre dieting food intake, preference of high fat food, regain with more % body fat, metabolism slows to return to normal, get weight quicker with each diet, increase in abdominal fat deposits, less desire for exercise, decrease in self efficacy/esteem
36. In recognizing an Unsound Diet as a means of weight control all of the following would be apparent EXCEPT
Promotes quick weight loss, limits food selectable, testimonials/ celebrity endorsements, expensive supplements/products, no attempts to permanently change eating or physical activity, critical of scientific community.
37. Characteristics of a Sound Diet for weight management would include all of the following except
Nutritionally adequate yet low in calories, fit into current lifestyle, foods that are liked, slow rate of weight loss, follow for life
38. In almost all studies researching diet and exercise in relation to weight loss, the diet plus exercise group lost somewhat more weight than the diet alone or the exercise alone groups.
39. To lose weight and keep it off, you need to make changes in your lifestyle. But there's more to changing your lifestyle than choosing different foods and putting more activity into your day. It also involves changing your approach to eating and activity, which means changing how you think, feel and act.
40. Exploring current eating and exercise habits gives a place to start when changing behaviors.
41. To lose weight and keep it off, Behavior therapy requires having a plan such as determining a realistic eating plan that includes plenty of water, fruits and vegetables.
42. Surgery is an option for those who have tried weight loss programs and failed, have a BMI ≥ 35, and are having health problems due to their weight.
43. Appropriate as part of a successful Weight-Loss Strategies, would be to develop a eating plan that would be centered around complex carbohydrates foods which offer abundant vitamins, minerals and fiber with little fat.
44. Appropriate as part of a successful Weight-Loss Strategies, would be to develop a eating plan that would be centered around complex carbohydrates and then choose fats sensibly and reduce the quantity of fat and watch empty Calories from sugar and alcohol.
45. Appropriate as part of a successful Weight-Loss Strategies, would be to develop an eating plan that would consist of meals planned through out the day consisting of smaller portions to feel satisfied, but not stuffed.
46. Appropriate as part of a successful Weight-Loss Strategies, would be to develop an eating plan that would consist of meals of very little variety so that appetite is not stimulated by the presence of a food that is enjoyed and hence may be over consumed.
47. Incidences of underweight and associated health problems are more prevalent than overweight and obesity problems.
48. Since obesity apparently has many causes, even in a single individual, the best attack of the problem seems to be:
Changing/Improving eating/exercise habits; prevent
50. Successful maintenance of weight loss requires all of the following except:
A lifelong eating plan for good health, nutritionally adequate eating, reasonable/realistic expectations, regular physical activity, permanent lifestyle changes