5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Countercurrent exchange
- a Features that assist an organism to survive in a particular habitat.
- b Arrangement of vascular tissues that enable heat to be transferred from a vessel carrying fluid from the core to an extremity, to a vessel carrying fluid from an extremity to the core.
- c The maintenance of constant internal salt and water concentrations in internal fluids.
- d The net movement of water across a partially permeable membrane without an input of energy and down a concentration gradient.
- e Excretory organs involved in osmoregulation.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Region of the brain responsible for essential fuctions associated with the autonomic nervous system.
- Feedback that tends to stabilize a process or conditions by reducing its rate or output when its effects are too great.
- Nerve cells.
- Endocrine attached to the hypothalamus. Influences the production of thyroxine by the thyroid gland.
- Part of the neuron that contains the nucleus. Also called the soma.
5 True/False questions
Peripheral nervous system → Sub-branch of the nervous system involving all nerves that lie outside the brain and spinal cord.
Endothermic → Organism whose body temperature fluctuates with its surroundings.
Tolerance range → Extent of variation in an environmental factor within which a species can survive.
Hormones → In animals, chemicals produced in endocrine glands that are released into and transported via that bloodstream to other parts of the body where they act.
Endocrine system → Sytstem of ductuless glands that produce hormones which are released directly into the bloodstream.