Upgrade to remove ads
Sleep & rest
Terms in this set (12)
Characteristics of NREM sleep
Decreased metabolic rate
Decreased VS: breathing, HR, BP, Temp
Characteristics of REM sleep
- Inc. metabolic rate
- Rapid of irregular pulse
- Inc. BP
- Inc. temp
- Inc. gastric secretions
- Depressed muscle tone and deep tendon flexes
difficulty initiating or maintaining sleep or excessive sleepiness
- Sleep apnea
- Sleep deprivation
Patterns of waking behaviors during sleep
- sleep talking
- night terrors
Acute: less than 4 weeks
Chronic: 5 weeks-6 mo
Older than 50, women, history of depression
Obstructive sleep apnea
Airway becomes occluded from structural abnormalities of throat
* At risk: middle age men, obese, short thick neck, enlarged tonsils or thyroid, deviated septum
Central sleep apnea
Brain doesn't send proper signals to muscles that control breathing
Sleep apnea treatment
- Surgery to remove soft tissue
Illnesses associated with sleep disturbances
- liver failure/encephalitis
- nature of sleep/quality
- associated factors
- opinion of sleep
- sleep diary at leat 14 days
- energy level, facial characteristics, behavior
- Report improvements in sleep/rest pattern
- demonstrate behaviors that enhance sleep and rest
- verbalize improved sense of well-being
- identify stress relieving factors that helps patient to easily fall asleep
- Prepare a restful environment.
- Promote bedtime rituals.
- Offer appropriate bedtime snacks and beverages.
- Promote relaxation and comfort.
- Respect normal sleep-wake patterns.
- Schedule nursing care to avoid disturbances.
- Use medications to produce sleep.
- Teach about rest and sleep.
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
Nurs 113- Nursing Process
Nurs 113- Vital Signs
Nurs 113 - Mobility
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Chapter 42 Sleep
P&P Ch 42: SLEEP
Chapter 42: SLEEP
Chapter 33 Rest and Sleep
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
OTHER QUIZLET SETS
Human geography final exam
Psych 101 Final
CSD 201 Exam 3
Drugs and Immune system