Create an account
- Thought that rebellion against the government was never justified
- People are equal
- Rulers need absolute power
- If people were left alone, they would constantly fight
- Supported religious tolerance, and freedom of thought
- Thought that people had natural rights (right to life, liberty, and property)
- Rebellion was justified if the ruler no longer had the consent of the people
- People were basically reasonable and cooperative
- Thought that the power of government should be divided into three different powers (seperation of powers, checks and balances)
- "I do not agree with a word you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Thought that rulers should be strong but intelligent
- Titles of nobility should be abolished
- People have a contract with society that says that they most obey its rules, even if unjust, when they enter it.
- "Man is born free, and everywhere else he is in chains"
- "noble savage" = person who lives in nature, pure, not coruppted by society, etc.
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together