5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- How did the Northwest Ordinance of 1787 provide for the orderly expansion of the United
- Describe the following court case:
a. Marbury v. Madison
- What territories were added as a result of the U.S.-Mexican War?
- What main action did many Americans carry out that was based on their belief of
Manifest Destiny of the United States in the 1800s?
- What were the significant reasons for the use of the following trails:
-Santa Fe Trail
- a - Mormon Trail: Route by which Mormons traveled west to Utah
-Santa Fe Trail: Route by which American merchants with manufactured goods traveled and traded in Santa Fe with Mexican merchants for horses, mules, and silver.
-Oregon Trail: Used by many settlers moving west to Oregon Country.
- b It gave specific guidelines about founding territories and creating states
- c Present day states of California, Nevada, and Utah; Most of Arizona and New Mexico: Parts of
Colorado and Wyoming;
- d American settlers move west
- e Established Judicial Review
5 Multiple choice questions
- The land may produce many riches
- Gained Support for the abolitionist movement
- California along the Pacific Ocean
- Rocky Mountains
- When the population reaches 60,000 adult males the area can write a state constitution and apply for statehood. If Congress approves the state constitution, the area will become a state.
5 True/False questions
What were three significant results of Andrew Jackson's policies toward the American
Indians → -Indian Removal
-Worcester v. Georgia
- Trail of Tears
What year did the United States purchase Louisiana? Who was the president when
Louisiana was purchased? → 1803 and Thomas Jefferson was president
"Away, away with all these cobweb issues of rights of discover, exploration, settlement, continuity, etc.... our claim to Oregon would still be best and strongest. And that claim is by the right of our manifest destiny to overspread the development of the great experiment of liberty and federated self-government entrusted to us."
-John O'Sullivan, editorial in the New York Morning News, December, 1845
What is the justification O'Sullivan provides for the expansion of the United States to Oregon? → To spread the principles of democratic government
How did President Polk's placement of soldiers, along the Rio Grande contribute to the outbreak
of war with Mexico? → The land may produce many riches
What is the title of the picture and who created it?
[insert picture of creepy lady in weird spirit form flying with the people and settlers moving west here] → American Progress by John Gast