5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- What specific requirements were established for a territory to become a state during
- "Away, away with all these cobweb issues of rights of discover, exploration, settlement, continuity, etc.... our claim to Oregon would still be best and strongest. And that claim is by the right of our manifest destiny to overspread the development of the great experiment of liberty and federated self-government entrusted to us."
-John O'Sullivan, editorial in the New York Morning News, December, 1845
What is the justification O'Sullivan provides for the expansion of the United States to Oregon?
- What is the title of the picture and who created it?
[insert picture of creepy lady in weird spirit form flying with the people and settlers moving west here]
- Describe the following court case:
a. Marbury v. Madison
- What main action did many Americans carry out that was based on their belief of
Manifest Destiny of the United States in the 1800s?
- a American settlers move west
- b To spread the principles of democratic government
- c When the population reaches 60,000 adult males the area can write a state constitution and apply for statehood. If Congress approves the state constitution, the area will become a state.
- d American Progress by John Gast
- e Established Judicial Review
5 Multiple choice questions
- Rocky Mountains
- - Mormon Trail: Route by which Mormons traveled west to Utah
-Santa Fe Trail: Route by which American merchants with manufactured goods traveled and traded in Santa Fe with Mexican merchants for horses, mules, and silver.
-Oregon Trail: Used by many settlers moving west to Oregon Country.
- Gained Support for the abolitionist movement
- California along the Pacific Ocean
- Ruled that the state of Georgia did not have the right to force the Cherokee Nation off their territory
5 True/False questions
Describe the following court case:
McCulloch v. Maryland → Ruled that states do not have the right to tax federal institutions
How did President Polk's placement of soldiers, along the Rio Grande contribute to the outbreak
of war with Mexico? → U.S. soldiers entered territory that Mexico considered its own territory
Mexico recognizes Texas as a part of
the United States.
The Rio Grande is made the border
between Mexico and the United States.
Mexico cedes (surrenders) territory
that is now part of 7 present-day states
What treaty established these terms of peace to end the war? → Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo
What Modern day states can be found in the Louisiana Purchase? → Kansas and Nebraska
How does the artist of the picture demonstrate a belief in Manifest Destiny? → Pioneers are shown moving West bringing new transportation and communication technologies with the angel guiding and protecting them.