5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Why was the Gadsden Purchase so significant to American settlers' movement westward?
- What main action did many Americans carry out that was based on their belief of
Manifest Destiny of the United States in the 1800s?
- What geographic location allowed for increased labor with a great number of immigrants from
- What were three significant results of Andrew Jackson's policies toward the American
- How did President Polk's placement of soldiers, along the Rio Grande contribute to the outbreak
of war with Mexico?
- a American settlers move west
- b U.S. soldiers entered territory that Mexico considered its own territory
- c California along the Pacific Ocean
- d -Indian Removal
-Worcester v. Georgia
- Trail of Tears
- e It created a route for settlers to cross without having to cross the Mountains.
5 Multiple choice questions
- 1803 and Thomas Jefferson was president
- Established Judicial Review
- Present day states of California, Nevada, and Utah; Most of Arizona and New Mexico: Parts of
Colorado and Wyoming;
- Kansas and Nebraska
- To spread the principles of democratic government
5 True/False questions
Describe the following court case:
McCulloch v. Maryland → Established Judicial Review
What century does the most territorial expansion of the United States take place? → Present day states of California, Nevada, and Utah; Most of Arizona and New Mexico: Parts of
Colorado and Wyoming;
"Extending nearly ten degrees of latitude along the Pacific, and embracing the only safe and commodious harbors on that coast for many hundred miles, with a temperate climate and an extensive interior of fertile lands, it is scarcely possible t estimate its wealth until it shall be brought under the government of our laws and its resources fully developed. From its position it must command the rich commerce of China, of Asia, of the islands of the Pacific, of western Mexico, of Central America, the South American States, and of the Russian possessions bordering on that ocean. A great emporium will doubtless speedily arise on the California coast which may be
destined to rival in importance New Orleans itself."
-President James K. Polk, State of the Union Address, December 5, 1848
Why does President Polk argue California should become a part of the United States → Kansas and Nebraska
What is the title of the picture and who created it?
[insert picture of creepy lady in weird spirit form flying with the people and settlers moving west here] → Pioneers are shown moving West bringing new transportation and communication technologies with the angel guiding and protecting them.
What specific requirements were established for a territory to become a state during
westward expansion? → When the population reaches 60,000 adult males the area can write a state constitution and apply for statehood. If Congress approves the state constitution, the area will become a state.