7 Written questions
6 Multiple choice questions
- A trading center which once existed near the current location of St. Louis and was inhabited by 40,000 native Americans in 1200 A.D.
- One of the largest military fleets in the history of warfare which was sent to attack England in 1588. The smaller English fleet was able to defeat the armada by using its ease of maneuverability and ended Spain's domination of the Atlantic Ocean and made England the power.
- The first Spanish fort north of Mexico. It was a small military outpost located in Florida and founded in 1565. It was followed by colonizing in the Southwest. The first permanent European settlement in North America.
- The first French settlement in America which was established in 1608. Its population grew slowly but they were able to establish relationships with Native Americans. French Jesuit missionaries helped to establish those relationships.
- A conquistador like Cortes, who conquered the Incas in Peru and help to begin more advances in South America. Besides miners, farmers, priests, friars and missionaries went to South America after it was conquered by the conquistadores.
- Prince Henry dedicated much of his life to the promotion of maritime exploration and helped Portugal become an early force in navigation. Portugal became home of Christopher Columbus and Magellan, two prominent explorers.Explored South along West Africa and around Cape of Good Hope to India.
6 True/False questions
Puritans → Radical Puritans who began their existence in the 16th century after England formed its own church. They determined to worship in their own independent congregation, despite English law stating that they must do otherwise. They did not want to leave the Church of England but simply change the Anglican forms of worship and reform church leadership. Eventually Puritans were antagonized and they sought new places for refuge. Puritans- left for Holland then to Plymouth.
Jamestown → The first permanent English settlement in the new world which was established in Virginia in 1607.
Sir Humphrey Gilbert → An early English pioneer of Colonization who was able to secure a patent to colonize in the New World. He led an expedition to Newfoundland but was lost at sea.
The Protestant Reformation, Martin Luther → After a disagreement between the Pope and King Henry VIII(Henry wanted divorce from Catherine (Spain) since she had not given him a male heir-Pope refused so Henry put himself as head of Anglicans). England separated from honoring the Roman Catholic Church to starting its own church, the Church of England. Many believed that the English reformation was not enough and wanted more changes in the church.
Hernando Cortes, conquistadores and Tenochtitlan → Hernando was one of the first conquistadors who led armies into South America. Cortes managed to conquer Tenochtitlan after a failed first attempt and with the aid of smallpox he killed many of the Aztecs that lived there. Cortes advancement into South America allowed for other conquistadores or conquerors to make their way there also. Eventually Spain began to mine in South America and generated more gold and silver than was being mined in all the world's mines put together.
The English Reformation/The Church of England → After a disagreement between the Pope and King Henry VIII(Henry wanted divorce from Catherine (Spain) since she had not given him a male heir-Pope refused so Henry put himself as head of Anglicans). England separated from honoring the Roman Catholic Church to starting its own church, the Church of England. Many believed that the English reformation was not enough and wanted more changes in the church.