7 Written questions
6 Multiple choice questions
- The first Spanish fort north of Mexico. It was a small military outpost located in Florida and founded in 1565. It was followed by colonizing in the Southwest. The first permanent European settlement in North America.
- Prince Henry dedicated much of his life to the promotion of maritime exploration and helped Portugal become an early force in navigation. Portugal became home of Christopher Columbus and Magellan, two prominent explorers.Explored South along West Africa and around Cape of Good Hope to India.
- One of the largest military fleets in the history of warfare which was sent to attack England in 1588. The smaller English fleet was able to defeat the armada by using its ease of maneuverability and ended Spain's domination of the Atlantic Ocean and made England the power.
- England's first attempt at colonization began in Ireland. Rather than mix with those already living there the English created their own separate societies based upon those who emigrated from England. The English treated the Irish harshly, as they would do to Native Americans.
- A economic concept that believes that for one person or nation to grow rich it must be at the expense of another. This led to Europeans trading greatly throughout the fifteen and sixteen hundreds. It also led to colonization, nations looked for new products to trade from areas they could control because there was a need of resources and markets to increase money flowing to Parent Nation.
- People who wanted to further reform the Church of England and clamored for reforms that would purify the church. Many left England due to economic reasons, also.
6 True/False questions
Jamestown → The first French settlement in America which was established in 1608. Its population grew slowly but they were able to establish relationships with Native Americans. French Jesuit missionaries helped to establish those relationships.
The English Reformation/The Church of England → After a disagreement between the Pope and King Henry VIII(Henry wanted divorce from Catherine (Spain) since she had not given him a male heir-Pope refused so Henry put himself as head of Anglicans). England separated from honoring the Roman Catholic Church to starting its own church, the Church of England. Many believed that the English reformation was not enough and wanted more changes in the church.
John Calvin → The first permanent English settlement in the new world which was established in Virginia in 1607.
Francisco Pizarro → A trading center which once existed near the current location of St. Louis and was inhabited by 40,000 native Americans in 1200 A.D.
Hernando Cortes, conquistadores and Tenochtitlan → A English explorer who was employed by the Dutch to find land for them. He sailed along the river now known as the Hudson River and helped the Dutch to claim the area now known as New York. The Dutch created a series of trading posts on the Hudson, Delaware and Connecticut Rivers to establish New Netherlands. The principal town of New Netherlands was New Amsterdam which was on Manhattan Island.
Quebec → A trading center which once existed near the current location of St. Louis and was inhabited by 40,000 native Americans in 1200 A.D.