Get ahead with a $300 test prep scholarship
| Enter to win by Tuesday 9/24
U.S.A. Citizenship Test (100 Civics Questions) from uscis.gov
Terms in this set (100)
1. What is the supreme law of the land?
2. What does the Constitution do?
defines the government
3. What are the first three words of the Constitution?
We the People
4. What is an amendment?
a change/addition (to the Constitution)
5. What do we call the first ten amendments to the Constitution?
the Bill of Rights
6. What is one right or freedom from the First Amendment?
petition the government
7. How many amendments does the Constitution have?
What did the Declaration of Independence do?
declared our independence (from Great Britain)
9. What are two rights in the Declaration of Independence?
pursuit of happiness
10. What is freedom of religion?
You can practice any religion, or not practice a religion.
11. What is the economic system in the United States?
12. What is the "rule of law"?
Everyone must follow the law.
13. Name one branch or part of the government.
14. What stops one branch of government from becoming too powerful?
checks and balances
15. Who is in charge of the executive branch?
16. Who makes federal laws?
17. What are the two parts of the U.S. Congress?
the Senate and House (of Representatives)
18. How many U.S. Senators are there?
one hundred (100)
19. We elect a U.S. Senator for how many years?
20. Who is one of your state's U.S. Senators now?
21. The House of Representatives has how many voting members?
four hundred thirty-five (435)
22. We elect a U.S. Representative for how many years?
23. Name your U.S. Representative.
24. Who does a U.S. Senator represent?
all people of the state
25. Why do some states have more Representatives than other states?
they have a larger population
26. We elect a President for how many years?
27. In what month do we vote for President?
28. What is the name of the President of the United States now?
29. What is the name of the Vice President of the United States now?
30. If the President can no longer serve, who becomes President?
the Vice President
31. If both the President and the Vice President can no longer serve, who becomes President?
the Speaker of the House
32. Who is the Commander in Chief of the military?
33. Who signs bills to become laws?
34. Who vetoes bills?
35. What does the President's Cabinet do?
advises the President
36. What are two Cabinet-level positions?
Secretary of Defense
Secretary of Education
37. What does the judicial branch do?
38. What is the highest court in the United States?
the Supreme Court
39. How many justices are on the Supreme Court?
40. Who is the Chief Justice of the United States now?
John Roberts (John G. Roberts, Jr.)
41. Under our Constitution, some powers belong to the federal government. What is one power of the federal government?
to declare war
42. Under our Constitution, some powers belong to the states. What is one power of the states?
provide schooling and education
43. Who is the Governor of your state now?
44. What is the capital of your state?
45. What are the two major political parties in the United States?
Democrat and Republican
46. What is the political party of the President now?
47. What is the leader of the House of Representatives called?
Speaker of the House
48. There are four amendments to the Constitution about who can vote. Describe one of them.
You don't have to pay (a poll tax) to vote.
49. What is one responsibility that is only for United States citizens?
serve on a jury
50. Name one right only for United States citizens.
vote in a federal election
51. What are two rights of everyone living in the United States?
freedom of speech
freedom of assembly
52. What do we show loyalty to when we say the Pledge of Allegiance?
the United States
53. What is one promise you make when you become a United States citizen?
obey the laws of the United States
54. How old do citizens have to be to vote for President?
eighteen (18) and older
55. What are two ways that Americans can participate in their democracy?
join a civic group
56. When is the last day you can send in federal income tax forms?
57. When must all men register for the Selective Service?
at age eighteen (18)
58. What is one reason pilgrims came to America?
59. Who lived in America before the Europeans arrived?
60. What group of people was taken to America and sold as slaves?
61. Why did the colonists fight the British?
taxation without representation
62. Who wrote the Declaration of Independence?
63. When was the Declaration of Independence adopted?
July 4, 1776
64. There were 13 original states. Name three.
65. What happened at the Constitutional Convention?
The Constitution was written
66. When was the Constitution written?
67. The Federalist Papers supported the passage of the U.S. Constitution. Name one of the writers.
68. What is one thing Benjamin Franklin is famous for?
Declaration of Independence
69. Who is the "Father of Our Country"?
70. Who was the first President?
71. What territory did the United States buy from France in 1803?
72. Name one war fought by the United States in the 1800s
War of 1812
73. Which war was fought in the United States in the 1800s?
the Civil War
74. Name one problem that led to the Civil War.
75. What was one important thing that Abraham Lincoln did?
freed the slaves (Emancipation Proclamation)
76. What did the Emancipation Proclamation do?
freed the slaves
77. What did Susan B. Anthony do?
fought for women's rights
78. Name one war fought by the United States in the 1900s.
World War I
World War II
(Persian) Gulf War
79. Who was President during World War I?
80. Who was President during the Great Depression and World War II?
81. Who did the United States fight in World War II?
Japan, Germany, and Italy
82. Before he was President, Eisenhower was a general. What war was he in?
World War II
83. During the Cold War, what was the main concern of the United States?
84. What movement tried to end racial discrimination?
civil rights (movement)
85. What did Martin Luther King, Jr. do?
fought for civil rights
86. What major event happened on September 11, 2001, in the United States?
Terrorists attacked the United States.
87. Name one American Indian tribe in the United States.
88. Name one of the two longest rivers in the United States
89. What ocean is on the West Coast of the United States?
90. What ocean is on the East Coast of the United States?
91. Name one U.S. territory.
U.S. Virgin Islands
Northern Mariana Islands
92. Name one state that borders Canada.
93. Name one state that borders Mexico.
94. What is the capital of the United States?
95. Where is the Statue of Liberty?
New York (Harbor)
96. Why does the flag have 13 stripes?
because there were 13 original colonies
97. Why does the flag have 50 stars?
because there is one star for each state
98. What is the name of the national anthem?
The Star-Spangled Banner
99. When do we celebrate Independence Day?
100. Name two national U.S. holidays.
New Year's Day
Martin Luther King, Jr. Day