6 Written questions
6 Multiple choice questions
- American commander in Pacific campaign of World War II; headed American occupation government of Japan after the war; later commanded international forces during Korean War.
- He was the U. S. general who led the attack in North Africa in Nov. of 1942.He was the master organizer of the D-Day invasion in Europe (June 6, 1944). He ran for the Republican ticket in the 1952 and the1956 elections and won.
- Japan offered to liberate Southeast-Asian countries from western colonial rule but instead used them as conquered land for natural resources
- A field marshal in the German army's Afrika Korps who specialized in tank warfare. Rommel came to be known by both friends and enemies as the "Desert Fox" for his brilliant strategies and surprise attacks in Germany's North Africa campaign.
- The prolonged bombardment of British cities by the German Luftwaffe during World War II and the aerial combat that accompanied it
- Irregular forces which use guerrilla tactics when operating in enemy-occupied territory. During the Holocaust, partisans operated secretly in their efforts to assist Jews and others persecuted by the Nazis. They eventually killed Mussolini.
6 True/False questions
Neutrality Acts → 4 American laws passed in the late 1930s that were designed to keep the US out of international incidents by not allowing the US to trade with nations at war.
Blitzkrieg → German word meaning lightning war. It was a German army tactic during World War II which called for quick moving, hard hitting drives into enemy territory.
Stalingrad → June 6, 1944, the day on which Allied forces landed in Normandy, France to begin a massive offensive against the Germans in the occupied territory of Europe.
Franklin D. Roosevelt → The President of the United States during the Depression and WWII. He instituted the New Deal. Served from 1933 to 1945, he was the only president in U.S. history to be elected to four terms
Philippines → US Controlled country that was a group of islands in Southeast Asia. This country was captured by Japan in April 1942 but was recaptured by the US in March 1945
Vichy France → The last American base in the north Pacific west of Hawaii. Which was attacked by the Japanese known as "The Battle of Midway". Huge turning point in the war due to crushing blow dealt to the Japanese Navy after trying to ambush awaiting US Navy. Due to a American's break of Japanese Navy secret code.