Create an account
Which sequence is the correct pathway for air movement through the nose and into the pharynx
Anterior nares, vestibule, nasal cavity meati, posterior nares
What are subdivisions of the thoracic cavity
left pleural division
right pleural division
a common infection of the lower respiratory tract characterized by acute inflammation of the bronchial tree
When the diaphragm contracts, the volume of the thorax increases, thoracic pressure
decreases and air rushes into the lungs
during normal quiet respiration, the amount of air exchanged between the lungs and atmosphere is called _____ and has a volume of ___ ml
residual volume, 1200 ml
all of the following are regulated processes associated with the functioning respiratory system except
control of cell metabolism rate
If alveolar PO equals 100 mm Hg and pulmonary capillary PO equals 40 mm Hg which of the following will occur
O2 will exit the alveoli and enter into capillary blood
Capillary O2 will exit the alveoli at 100 mm Hg
Po Will equalize between the pulmonary capillary and alveoli
Approximately 97% of oxygen transported as _______, whereas the remaining 3% is transported dissolved in _____
The diving reflex
Is responsible for the astonishing recovery of near drowning victims in cold water
A broad term used to describe conditions of progressive, irreversible obstruction of expiratory air flow
Chronic Obtrusive Pulmonary Disease
May results from the progression of chronic bronchitis or other conditions as air becomes entrapped within alveoli causing them to enlarge and eventually rupture
An obstructive disorder characterized by recurring spasms of the smooth muscle in the walls of the bronchial air passages
What occurs during inspiration
elevation of the ribs
contraction of the diaphragm
chest cavity becomes longer from top to bottom
The amount of air that can be forcibly exhaled after expiring the tidal volume is known as
expiratory reserve volume
Forced vital capacity
this measures the amount of air you can exhale with force after you inhale as deeply as possible
peak expiratory flow
this measures how quickly you can exhale. it is usually measured at the same time as your forced vital capacity
Maximum voluntary ventilation
this measures the greatest amount of air you can breathe in and out during one minute
Slow vital capacity
This measures the amount of air you can slowly exhale after you inhale as deeply as possible
Total lung capacity
this measures the amount of air in your lungs after you inhale as deeply as possible
functional residual volume
this measures the amount of air in your lungs at the end of a normal exhaled breathe
this measures the amount of air in your lungs after you have exhaled completely. It can be done by breathing in helium or nitrogen gas and seeing how much is exhaled
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together