Newton's Laws of Motion Facts
• Newton's first law of motion states that the motion of an object will not change
if the forces on it are balanced.
• Objects at rest will not move unless acted upon by an unbalanced force.
• Objects in motion will continue to move at a constant speed and in a straight
line unless acted upon by an unbalanced force.
• Inertia is the tendency of matter to resist a change in motion. Mass is a measure
• Newton's second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object
depends on the mass of the object and the amount of force applied.
• The greater the mass of an object is, the greater the force needed to achieve the
• Newton's third law of motion states that whenever one object exerts a force on
a second object, the second object exerts an equal and opposite force on the