Create an account
1. The political party and politically-oriented interest group:
differ because political parties try to win elections while interest groups' main goals are to influence government decisions.
2. Which of the following groups could not be classified as a special interest group in Texas?
La Raza Unida Party.
3. The ultimate goal of any political interest group is to:
influence public policy for the benefit of its members.
7. Your interest group favors lower taxes, deregulation, and minimum safety standards. Which of the following groups are you likely to be a member of?
Texas Association of Businesses
8. Three of the most influential types of interest groups in the United States are:
business, agriculture, and labor.
10. Which of the following would be most likely to be hired as a lobbyist for a major economic concern?
a former member of the legislature
12. Which of the following statements is NOT accurate with regard to the general rules of interest group formation?
Those in the working class are more likely to join groups than those in the upper class.
13. In which of the following arenas do interest groups attempt to affect public policy?
All of the above
14. What is formed by an organization, industry, or individual for the purpose of collecting money and contributing to selected political candidates or causes?
Political action committees
15. The efforts of interest group representatives to influence policy-makers face-to-face are called
16. In attempting to influence the legislature, one of the most important resources lobbyists have available is
17. In 1932, representatives of industries interested in expanding highway construction in Texas formed the
Texas Good Roads Association
19. The best known and probably the largest of the organizations that currently comprise the "Christian Right" is
the Christian Coalition
22. The oldest of the Hispanic organizations in Texas, formed to combat discrimination against Mexican Americans, is
none of the above.
23. The largest organization representing teachers in Texas is
the Texas State Teachers Association.
24. Efforts to organize teachers in Texas are handicapped by
a legal prohibition against bargaining collectively with school districts.
25. In order to win support for their causes, lobbyists must
supply powerful arguments and good information.
26. Some critics claim that interest groups are especially powerful in Texas because
all of the above.
3. The Texas Constitution calls for legislative redistricting
during the first regular session after the federal decennial census.
10. Which committee controls the flow of legislation from other committees to the floor of the House of Representatives?
11. Legislators in Texas come from districts that are:
equal in population size in both the House and Senate.
14. The Supreme Court ruled in 1960 that all districts within a state must have:
equal number of people
15. In terms of the number of committees in the Texas Legislature, which statement is true?
the House has more committees than the Senate
21. The term used to describe the situation in which a committee refuses to release a bill which effectively kills the bill, is
22. Powers of the presiding officers of the Legislature do not include
power to control legislative salaries.
23. The legislative agency which reviews state agencies and recommend whether they will be continued or abolished is the
Sunset Advisory Commission.
25. Negotiating a compromise on bills which differ on passage in each House is the function of
36. The presiding officers of the Legislature do not have the power to
permanently expel a member of his house
40. If the legislature fails to redistrict at the proper time, it will be done by the
Legislative Redistricting Board
43. The lower house of the Texas legislature is:
members elected from districts of roughly equal population.
45. The speaker of the Texas House of Representatives is:
selected by a majority vote of his fellow representatives.
46. The selection of the Speaker of the Texas House of Representatives is:
usually completed unofficially before the first meeting of the legislature.
48. A legislative committee which meets when the legislature is not in session to consider proposed legislation is:
51. One factor that severely limits the number of people seeking legislative positions in Texas is:
cost of waging an effective campaign
52. Which is not a characteristic of a special legislative session?
can be held only in odd-numbered years
57. Which legal principle was established by the United States Supreme Court for the drawing of political boundaries?
"one man, one vote"
58. Senatorial courtesy refers to
the custom that allows an individual senator to block the governor's appointment of a person who lives in that senator's district
59. The line item veto is
the governor's removal of specific spending items from general appropriations bills only
63. I will appreciate your assistance in helping me become a better teacher. Would you please tell me what your overall evaluation of the course is:
All of the above
67. In comparison with other state legislatures, the upper chamber in Texas is ____ than average and the lower chamber is ____ than
68. Members of the Texas Senate serve ____-year terms while members of the Texas House of Representatives serve ____-year terms.
69. Special sessions of the Texas legislature called by the governor are limited to a maximum of how many days?
70. If the Texas legislature fails to redistrict, responsibility for redistricting is assumed by the
Legislative Redistricting Board.
72. The process of drawing boundaries of electoral districts in such a way that one party or faction has an advantage over another is called
75. Members of the Texas Senate must be at least ____ years of age while members of the Texas House must be at least ____ years of age.
82. Which committees in the Texas legislature most closely resemble select committees in the U.S. Congress?
Ad hoc committees
83. Which of the following bodies was created in 1949 to provide research and technical services to Texas legislators?
The Texas Legislative Council
85. In the Texas House of Representatives, bills are referred to the proper committees by the
86. In the Texas House, the placement of a bill on the appropriate calendar is the responsibility of the
Calendars Committee and the Local and Consent Calendars Committee.
90. The most significant power of a presiding officer of the Texas legislature is the right to
appoint members to standing committees.
91. The Speaker of the House in Texas is
elected by the members of the House of Representatives at the beginning of each session.
92. The process by which voters can place an issue on the ballot and if approved, have it become law is called
93. The process of citizens circulating a petition to have the right to vote to remove a law is called a
95. Supporters of the existing system believe that initiative and referendum would
all of the above.
96. Which of the following forms of legislative action is used by the Texas legislature to propose constitutional amendments?
97. Which of the following types of legislation may not originate in the Texas Senate?
98. How many readings does the Texas Constitution require that proposed legislation be given before being enacted into law?
99. An effort to force the withdrawal of a controversial bill through the use of the unlimited privileges of debate in the Senate is called a
100. Differences between bills passed by the House and Senate are resolved by what type of committee?
101. Unless the legislature adjourns, the governor has ___ days (excluding Sundays) to dispose of enacted legislation.
107. Whose opinions have the force of law unless they are successfully challenged in court?
108. The Calendars Committee
is selective and determines which bills will go to the floor for a vote.
2. The main reason Texas' executive branch power is fragmented is because:
the framers of the Texas Constitution had a basic fear of executive power
3. Which of the following is not an informal qualification for the typical Texas governor?
at least thirty years of age
4. If the office of governor is vacated by absence of the governor, it is filled by
5. Before Texas' constitution was amended, the governor was elected for:
two-year terms with no limit on the number of terms.
6. Arguments for a four-year term of office for the governor include all of the following except:
it guarantees Democratic control
7. The governor of Texas can be removed from office by:
impeachment by the House and conviction by two-thirds of the Senate.
15. The most formidable power(s) that the governor has with regard to the state budget is his ability to:
do all of the above
16. Regarding the removal power of the governor of Texas:
The governor may unilaterally remove any member of his or her staff.
18. Relative to gubernatorial succession, which of the following statements is true?
If the governor is in Oklahoma on a dove hunt, the lieutenant governor becomes acting governor.
19. The candidates who lost in the last three Texas gubernatorial elections (1990, 1986, 1982) have been, respectively,
Clayton Williams, Mark white, and Bill Clements.
20. Which of the following is not a penalty for conviction on an impeachment charge in Texas?
Disqualification from holding any federal office
21. The lieutenant governor is considered one of the most powerful officeholders in state government for all but one of the following reasons because he or she
is a member of the governor's cabinet
22. The term, "plural executive," refers to
an executive branch of government in which the governor shares the power with some officeholders
24. If a governor dies or is incapacitated in office, he or she is replaced until the next general election by the
26. Who was the only Texas governor to be removed from office by impeachment?
James E. "Pa" Ferguson
27. The line item veto is
the governor's removal of specific spending items from general appropriations bills only
28. How many years was the term of office for governor prior to the adoption of a constitutional amendment in 1972?
29. Since the constitutional amendment extending the governor's term of office from two years to four years went into effect, gubernatorial elections in Texas
have always been held in the off-year from presidential elections.
30. Which of the following bodies acts as a trial court when the governor has been impeached?
31. When the governor of Texas dies, resigns, or is removed from office by impeachment and conviction, who becomes governor?
32. The primary responsibility for preparing the executive budget lies with the
Office of Budget and Planning
33. The Texas Constitution stipulates that to be governor of Texas, a candidate must have reached a minimum age of
34. Which of the following is not one of the personal characteristics shared by most Texas governors?
39. Exercising the message power and the session power are among the Texas governor's responsibilities in his or her role as
40. When the Texas governor calls for a special session of the legislature, the agenda for the session is set by the
41. The Texas governor's veto power is absolute when
the legislature adjourns prior to the exercise of the veto.
42. The power of the governor in Texas to delete individual items from an appropriations bill without having to veto it in its entirety is known as the
43. The power to declare martial law in the state is one of the Texas governor's powers as
commander in chief/top cop.
44. Participation in parades, ribbon-cuttings, or other ceremonial occasions may be required of the governor in his or her role as
chief of state.
45. Using the media for public appearances to gain support for programs and visiting disaster victims are aspects of the governor's role as
leader of the people.
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together