5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- St John's Wort (Hypericum perforatum) Side Effects
- Ginger (Zingiber officinale) Side Effects
- Licorice root extract
- Echinacea (purpura, angustifolia)
- Evening Primrose Oil (Oenothera biennis) Side Effects
- a Treatment of early colds, or topically for psoriasis, eczema and burns
- b CNS depression and arrhythmia at toxic doses
Anti-platelet effects may increase bleeding (might want to stop taking it 2 weeks prior to dental procedure)
- c topically: photosensitivity; oral: can cause mania in patients with bipolar disorder, exacerbate psychosis in schizophrenia, serotonin syndrome in combination with SSRIs; oral: may have MAO-I activity, so avoid tyramine-containing foods (processed meat, red wine, aged cheese, avocados, soy)
- d May reduce growth of canker sores
- e GI upset, headache
5 Multiple choice questions
- Aloe LATEX or "drug aloe" comes from the glands in the leaf surface and has strong laxative properties, leading to side effects including severe abdominal cramping and fluid loss and is not recommended.
- Available without a prescription
Self-diagnosis and self-prescribing (control over disease + treatment)
Perceived to have fewer side effects, no lethal effects
Lack of health insurance
Other options have not worked
Strong advertising - enhanced immune function, easy weight loss, etc.
Perceived as "natural, safer, and healthier"
- St. John's Wort
- osteoarthritis, often in combo with chrondroitin
- very few, mostly GI
5 True/False questions
Ginseng (American or Asian (Panax) ginseng) → Increasing stamina, regulating glucose, aphrodisiac
Aloe (Aloe vera or Aloe barbadenis) → Aloe LATEX or "drug aloe" comes from the glands in the leaf surface and has strong laxative properties, leading to side effects including severe abdominal cramping and fluid loss and is not recommended.
St John's Wort (Hypericum perforatum) → Uses: depression
One of the most frequently used herbal supplements
Herds Important to Dental Surgery: Anticoagulants → Discontinue before anesthesia:
Kava (Piper methysticum) → anxiety, improve sleep
(Don't mix with things that will cause CNS depression)