Create an account
2. What is the primary difference between the somatic nervous system and the autonomic nervous system?
The somatic nervous system allows us to consciously control our skeletal muscles, and the autonomic nervous system controls activity that humans cannot consciously control, such as the pumping of the heart and the movement of food through the digestive tract.
5. What is the difference between nerves and tracts?
Bundles of neuron processes are called tracts in the CNS and nerves in the PNS.
6. An action potential is a phenomenon that either happens completely or doesn't happen at all.
7. Which of the following types of glial cells are the most abundant and versatile, and aid in making exchanges between capillaries and neurons?
10.Which of the following types of glial cells line the central cavities of the brain and spinal cord, where they help to circulate the cerebrospinal fluid?
11. Which of the following is not a function of the myelin sheath?
To aid in the regeneration of damaged nerve fibers
12. What is the difference between the clusters of cell bodies called nuclei and those known as ganglia?
Nuclei exist in the CNS, ganglia in the PNS.
13. Which of the following is not true of chemical synapses?
They transmit nerve impulses directly from one neuron to another.
15. Which of the following best describes the concept of integration?
The nervous system processes and interprets sensory input and decides what should be done at each moment.
16. Which criterion is used to structurally classify neurons?
The number of processes extending from their cell body.
17. Which of the following circuit types is exemplified by impulses that travel from a single neuron of the brain, activate a hundred or more motor neurons in the spinal cord, and excite thousands of skeletal muscle fibers?
18. Which of the following is not a characteristic of neurons?
Neurons are relatively small, simple-structured cells.
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together