5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- James Doolittle
- United Nations
- Taiwan crisis
- Rosie the Riveter
- satellite nations
- a symbol of American women who went to work in factories during the war
- b Commanded the mission that dropped the first U.S. bombs on japan
- c Communist nations in Eastern Europe on friendly terms with the USSR and thought of as under the USSR's control
- d an organization of independent states formed in 1945 to promote international peace and security
- e china threaten to sieze 2 islands from nationalists taiwan was communist barrier eisenhower threaten to use nuclear forces against china -china backed down
5 Multiple choice questions
- United States diplomat who served under President Nixon and President Ford (born in 1923)
- agreement that divided Vietnam into North and South
- Crucial naval battle which stopped the Japanese march across the Pacific, first time all fighting was done by carrier based aircraft
- this is a military base in northwestern South Vietnam that was attacked by communist troops. There was an increased traffic on the Ho Chi Minh Trail right before the assault.
- The World War II-era effort of black Americans to gain "a Victory over racism at home as well as Victory abroad."
5 True/False questions
Joseph R. McCarthy → Secretary of State under Eisenhower; emerged as a key architect of American policy; wanted to preserve the free world from godless, immoral communism; called for a rollback relying on the US's nuclear superiority
kamikaze → a fighter plane used for suicide missions by Japanese pilots in World War II
Doves → location of the killing of over 400 Vietnamese civilians by American soldiers
Adlai Stevenson → the Nazi program of exterminating Jews under Hitler
Sputnik → The world's first space satellite. This meant the Soviet Union had a missile powerful enough to reach the US.