5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Cesar Chavez
- Stokely Carmichael
- Voting Rights Act
- Thurgood Marshall
- James Meredith
- a Organized Union Farm Workers (UFW); help migratory farm workers gain better pay & working conditions
- b NAACP legal counsel and first AA Supreme Court Justice
- c the first African American student to enroll in University of Mississippi by order of a federal court
- d militant leader who argued that African Americans should fight back if attacked. Carmichael and others developed a new approach called "Black Power".
- e 1965 law banning literacy tests and other laws that kept blacks from registering to vote
5 Multiple choice questions
- to open to people of all races or ethnic groups
- A form of protest in which people sit and refuse to leave
- 1955 protest action to end segregation on busses in Montgomery, Alabama
- protest in which people sit in a place and refuse to move until their demands are met
- forced to retire at 65; organized Gray Panthers against age discrimination and protested in D.C.
5 True/False questions
Lyndon Johnson → forced to retire at 65; organized Gray Panthers against age discrimination and protested in D.C.
infringe → to violate
Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC) → 1954 case in which Supreme Court ruled that "separate but equal" education for black and white students was unconstitutional
bilingual → two languages
Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC) → refusal to obey laws considered to be unjust