5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- nitrates and nitrites
- 140C for 2 sec
- UV light
- Staphylococcus aureus
- a ultra high temp. Usually sterilized milk, if sealed, don't need to refrigerate.
- b Disinfection after secondary treatment depends on next use. Causes fatal mutations
- c (species) bacteria that grow in food, orginally from skin. Secrete toxin into food that induces vomiting and diarrhea. Self-limiting. Associated with SALTY foods.
- d canning temperature needed for high acid foods (pH<4.5). Kills all vegetative cells. If spores survive, can't germinate at low pH
- e common in preserved meats such as bacon, pepperoni. KILL microbes (Cidal agent) like salmonella by inhibiting enzymes used in ATP productions. Preserve red color of hemoglobin.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Disinfection after secondary treatment depends on next use. Most effective way to remove giardia and cryptosporidium
- end product of anaerobic sludge digester. Organics will be fermented or organic acids + carbon dioxide. It is then converted to _________ by methanogens.
- G.R.A.S. few resctrictions. Most will inhibit the uptake of key amino acids (key nutrients). All lower pH so enzymes won't work-inhibit growths.
- high energy/ionizing radiation. Gamma rays. Knock electrons away from atoms. Creates very reactive free radicals that damage cell components. Kills cells
- peak efficiency of aerobic microbes in reducing organics. Secondary treatment.
5 True/False questions
Salmonella → (genus)-associated with poultry. Meant-contaminated during slaughtering and eggs that pass through cloaca.
sorbic acid → Organic acids-often naturally produced in fermented foods. Foods naturally preserved. (cheese)
Radiation → pathogens are trapped in floc. They get killed by _________: protozoans eat bacteria
Pseudomonas → pathogens are trapped in floc. They get killed by _________: protozoans eat bacteria
carbon dioxide → Organic acids. Added to fruits, margarine, meat