5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Clostridium botulinum
- a (genus)-associated with poultry. Meant-contaminated during slaughtering and eggs that pass through cloaca.
- b pathogens are trapped in floc. They get killed by _________: protozoans eat bacteria
- c occurs throughout secondary treatment. Reduce pathogen by_________________
- d (Genus) spoil meat, secrete green fluorescent slime.
- e (species) bacteria found in soil. Anaerobic in can food. Causes paralysis
5 Multiple choice questions
- pathogens are trapped in floc. They get killed by _________: intestinal microbes are not well adapted to this environment. Lose out by ____ for nutrients to "good bugs'
- (species) bacteria that grow in food, orginally from skin. Secrete toxin into food that induces vomiting and diarrhea. Self-limiting. Associated with SALTY foods.
- Range of radiation sensitivity: Lactobacillus
- Range of radiation sensitivity: Pseudomonas
- take care of solids leftover from secondary treatment. Rate of digestion is slower than secondary, metaoblism is less efficient, but faster if warmer. Heated to 95-100F. Does reduce final volume of solid, Some molecules can only be decomposed by this. End product: carbon dioxide and METHANE
5 True/False questions
Propionic acid → Organic acids. Produced by fermentation. Added to bread (Swiss cheese)
Freezing → inverted by N.Appert, big prize from napoleon. Heating of food in bottles and seal it. Main concern now is growth from any surviving bacterial spores.
140C for 2 sec → high temp, short time (HTST)
benzoic acid → Organic acids. Vinegar. Often added to veggies, meats, mayo (pickles)
63C for 30mins → high temp, short time (HTST)