5 Written questions
4 Matching questions
- anaerobic sludge digester
- Staphylococcus aureus
- primary treatment
- a take care of solids leftover from secondary treatment. Rate of digestion is slower than secondary, metaoblism is less efficient, but faster if warmer. Heated to 95-100F. Does reduce final volume of solid, Some molecules can only be decomposed by this. End product: carbon dioxide and METHANE
- b (species) bacteria that grow in food, orginally from skin. Secrete toxin into food that induces vomiting and diarrhea. Self-limiting. Associated with SALTY foods.
- c occurs throughout secondary treatment. Reduce pathogen by_________________
- d physical separation. Some "biosolids" sink, some floats: grease, oil. Skimmed off. Reducing total amount of organics remaining in water. Little microbial activity involve
5 Multiple choice questions
- (species) bacteria found in soil. Anaerobic in can food. Causes paralysis
- end product of anaerobic sludge digester. Organics will be fermented or organic acids + carbon dioxide. It is then converted to _________ by methanogens.
- high energy/ionizing radiation. Gamma rays. Knock electrons away from atoms. Creates very reactive free radicals that damage cell components. Kills cells
- (genus)-associated with poultry. Meant-contaminated during slaughtering and eggs that pass through cloaca.
- Organic acids-often naturally produced in fermented foods. Foods naturally preserved. (cheese)
5 True/False questions
nitrates and nitrites → in body, we convert nitrites and nitrates to ______ which is CARCINOGENIC.
63C for 30mins → low temp, long time (LTLT)
intermediate → (genus) bacteria associated with unpasteurized cheese and "pre-cooked meats"-hot dogs, deli meats
90-95% → canning temperature needed for high acid foods (pH<4.5). Kills all vegetative cells. If spores survive, can't germinate at low pH
antioxidants → in body, we convert nitrites and nitrates to ______ which is CARCINOGENIC.