5th EditionCharlotte W. Pratt, Donald Voet, Judith G. Voet
1st EditionJanet L. Hopson, Postlethwait
1st EditionJoseph S. Levine, Kenneth R. Miller
10th EditionCain, Campbell, Minorsky, Reece, Urry, Wasserman
BIOLOGY Some people think that the type of research that produced the mouse-eyed fly is perfectly acceptable. Others think that it's a terrible thing to do even to a fly. In the biological sciences, animal testing has always been controversial, and it probably always will be. Perspectives on Animal Genetic Experiments. Animal rights groups have come a long way in recent years. More people are responding to the issues brought up by animal rights groups. For example, animal testing of cosmetics has been banned in a number of countries, and in the United States many companies have voluntarily stopped testing on animals. So what's the next frontier for animal rights activists? According to Edward Avellone of Animal Rights Now!, it's genetic experimentation. "What purpose is there in creating a mouse with six legs or a sheep with one eye in the middle of its forehead?" asks Avellone. "Scientists are just playing around with a new technology. They're creating horribly deformed animals for no real reason:' Some people disagree with this point of view. Says Ann Wilber of Scientists for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, "We're responsible professionals, not monsters: Wilber explains that the one-eyed sheep was the unintended result of an attempt to understand how the eye developed and how it works. "We've also developed a sheep whose milk contains, a protein that might cure emphysema. There are reasons for what we do:' But to Avellone, the point is not simply the motivation behind the experimentation. It's also the process of the experiment. "Only 10 percent of the animals they breed have the gene they want to study. The remaining 90 percent [of the animals) are simply killed:' Wilber admits that this situation is "sad, but true:' Still she says, "We're working every day to improve our techniques and therefore our success rate:' Even if the success rate never tops 10 percent, she asks, "Isn't that a small price to pay for a cure for cancer, or multiple sclerosis, or Parkinson's disease?" What is Ann Wilber's main argument in favor of genetic testing on animals?