ranks with groups in system of inequality, creates and maintains those differences
definition of social stratification
hierarchy, inequality, power, purpose, system, ideology, (+/-)
social stratification components
slavery, caste, estate, class
systems of social stratification
age, sex/gender, race/ethnicity, ses, sexual orientation, physical ablebodieness
means of social stratification
1) free and no form of government
2) best opportunities for economic growth
3) assumes all nations will benefit from capitalism
4) blame low income nations for their poverty
market oriented theories
1) role of government
2) government provide cheap loans, tax, breaks, etc.
3) acts of repression
4) forces successful businesses to invest money where they want it
state centered theories
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.