Upgrade to remove ads
Genesis Exam 2015
Terms in this set (46)
What does the name Genesis mean?
Give the meaning for each of these words
Bara - to create or make out of nothing (only used for God)
Asah - to create or make out of somethings else (used for God and man)
Nephesh - a living creature
Tannim - dragon, sea monster
Yom - to be hot, a day
what happened on each day of creation
1st day: Space, Energy, and Matter
2nd day: An atmosphere
3rd day: The planet Earth and Vegetation
4th day:Stellar objects
5th day: winged creatures and aquatic life creatures
6th day:Human life and land animals
Give 5 reasons to reject the day-age theory
- the terms morning and evening strongly indicate a 24 hour period
- if man had been on Earth 1 million years, the genealogies in Genesis 5 and 11 would require a 50,000 you gap between each name.
- If life has been on Earth for 1 billion years than each day of creation would have to represent 125 million years
- According to Genesis, plants were made on the 3rd day and the sun on the 4th making anything but a common day impossible
- The use of 2 Peter 3:8 as support of day-age is a classic illustration of Proof-texting
Give 5 reasons to reject theistic evolution
- Evolution teaches that all life originates in the ocean, while Genesis teaches that first life appeared on land.
- The sequence of events presented in the evolutionary model differs greatly from the account in Genesis.
- Deprivation of man from an animal ancestor cannot be reconciled with Genesis 1:26,27 or Genesis 2:7
- Evolution teaches that the development of fish and birds is separated by millions of years while the Genesis account says that they were created on the same day.
- Theistic Evolutionists assume that the Genesis account is either poetic or allegorical, but there is no hermetical basis for doing so.
Discuss the verse that tells us man was created in God's image
- God was triune, He gave is a body, spirit, and soul
- God was passionate, he gave us emotions
- God was moral, he gave us a conscience
What are evolution's 2 implications
no absolute truth
What was Satan's four fold strategy for tempting Eve?
A loaded question
a ½ truth
State the curse given to each participant in the sin in the garden
- loss of legs
- eat dust with every meal
- hostilities between himself and man
- Hostilities between his followers and Jesus Christ.
- Satan will have a small victory
- christ will have the ultimate victory
- increased pain in child birth
- strife within the family
- Physical death
- kicked out of the garden
- work for food
- plant type change
- whole earth under curse
Why did God drive Adam and Eve from the garden?
God drove them out as an act of mercy. If they had stayed there they would have been in sin forever. Out of the garden, they would die and then live in heaven with God forever
What are 4 indications that Cain is prideful and hard hearted?
- He killed his brother
- he shows attitude toward God
- He doesn't fix the problem with his offering
- builds a city when he is supposed to be wondering
State the arks dimensions and carrying capacity
300 cubits x 50 cubits x 300 cubits
122,000 sheep sized animals
What 3 things that offer proof that the flood was universal and not local
Jesus said it was a universal flood
there are oceanic fossils on mountain tops
God promised he would never flood the earth again
List 4 significant facts about Nimrod
- married his mother
- 1st imperialist
- 1st record of idolater
- some of the things we do at Easter come from Nimrod's birthday
What are the possible purposes for the Tower of Babel
to provide safety from another flood
to be used as a Ziggurat for worship
Near which modern city was Babylon located?
What are the possible identities of Melchizedek
Shem going by a different name
a literal historical figure
What was the 7 fold prophecy God gives Abram in Genesis 15?
your people will be in a foreign land
they will be afflicted there
they will be slaves for 400 years
God will judge the enslaving nation
they will come out of the country with wealth
You will die peacefully (before this happens)
the 4th generation will return to Canaan
Discuss what happens to each of these members of Lot's family
- His wife
----disobeys the angel, turns around to see the city and turned into a pillar of salt (rock formation)
- His sons in law
---------dies in the city
- Unmarried daughter
---------survived but committed incest with their father.
In what modern country do you find mt. Ararat?
What statement in Genesis 22:5 indicates Abraham expects Isaac will survive the sacrifice
We will be back
What does Abram call the place where Isaac was offered? what does it mean?
God will provide
What exactly did the birthright contain?
double portion of family's property
regular rights of heir
Describe the vision Jacob sees in Beth-el. What does Beth-el mean?
a staircase- the connection between Heaven and Earth
God standing at the top - God is in control
Angels descending - carrying out orders
Angels ascending - going to get more orders
Beth-el means House of God
For what reasons is Jacob afraid when he hears that Esau is coming to meet him
he thinks he is going to kill him
he brought 400 men
For what reasons do Joseph's brothers hate him
he gave their father a bad report
the ornamented robe their father gave him
What is Joseph's 3 fold line of defense against Potiphar's wife's seduction?
a strong sense of duty
He knew all sins were committed against God
He was resolved not to commit this sin
What are four examples in Joseph's life for receiving evil for good
He told his brothers his dream and they hated him
He did what his father told him and he brothers threw him into a cistern and sold him as a slave
He resisted Potiphar's wife and was thrown into prison
HE interpreted the cupbearer's dream and was left in prison for 2 year.
What are 4 things Pharaoh gives Joseph for his interpretations and advice
He gets out of jail
he is 2nd in Egypt
Pharaoh's signet ring
a new name
How long had Joseph been in Egypt when he is appointed a Vizier? How old was he then
30 years old
What are 2 things that make the famine in Joseph's day very unusual
the large geographical area effects
the length of the famine
What are 4 similarities of Joseph's brother situation in Genesis 42 to that of Joseph's when he was in the well
at someone else's mercy
What are 3 ways Joseph test his brothers attitude toward Ben?
Ben is given special treatment
He gave Ben Ruben's portion of food
will they abandon Ben when they think he is a thief
When he was going to keep Ben and send the others home
What are 2 advantages the jews received by settling in Goshen?
They were away from the Egyptian culture
There was good land for livestock
What 3 ways does Joseph increase Pharaoh's wealth?
Joseph got Pharaoh all the money in Egypt
He sold livestock for food
He got Pharaoh all the land in Egypt
What does Jacob want done with his body when he dies?
He wants it taken out of Egypt and placed in the family tomb
Why would Jacob want the physicians to embalm his father?
because he didn't want the Egyptian rituals done to the body
What are the 4 reasons why Jacob might be afraid to leave Canaan and move to Egypt
he was old
he was leaving his roots
he didn't want to break the covenant
his dad was told not to go to Egypt.
How many people were in Joseph's family when they moves to Egypt?
What are Joseph's sons names
What does Joseph desire about his body when he dies.
he wanted his bones out of Egypt and into Canaan
Rachel gave birth to ...
Benjamin and Joseph
Leah gave birth to ...
Ruben, Simeon, Levi, Judah, Issachar, and Zebulan
Bilhah gave birth to
Zilpah gave birth to...
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
CMJ Genesis Ch 21-37
Genesis chapters 38-50
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Genesis Final Exam
wrong genesis quizlet
Genesis final test
Unit 1 Test World Literature
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
the cardiovascular system improved
the cardiovascular system
OTHER QUIZLET SETS
herb final 10,11,12,14
Test 3 - Chapter 14: placentation and endocrinolog…
Unit 4 final
BIOL 203 Ch 14 1/2 study guide