5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- ibn rushd
- which class came to dominate european society after 1492
- ibn al-haytham
- a steel characterised by pattern of bands or sheets
- b merchant- entrpreneurial class which acquired enormous wealth
- c establishing something (e.g. gold or silver) as the legal tender of a country
- d tried to blend Aristotle's and Plato's views with those of Islam- argued that Greek philosophy had the same goal: to find the truth.
- e muslim mathematician who produced a book called Optics which revolutionized ideas about vision. he showed that people see objects because rays pass from the objects to the eyes, not vice versa
5 Multiple choice questions
- a 1494 agreement between Portugal and Spain, declaring that newly discovered lands to the west of an imaginary line in the Atlantic Ocean would belong to Spain and newly discovered lands to the east of the line would belong to Portugal.
- relationship between the lord (the owner of the means, could be a king) and to whom the lord owes protection (the peasants that are living on their land). Blend of chiefdom political organizations
- different parts of the world were in approximately the same level of capitalist development in 1492. what made europe surge ahead was the enormous wealth is acquired from the americas, the slave plantations and slave trade.
- (1924-96) The Structure of Scientific Revolutions, development of scientific disciplines is discontinuous, and at critical junctures mass changes occurred/paradigm view
- city in Peru that was one of the great mining centers in the sixteenth century New World. The Spanish crown was particularly interested in mining because it received one-fifth of all mining revenues
5 True/False questions
al-khwarizmi → Persian scientist, mathematician, astronomer/astrologer, and author. He is often cited as "the father of algebra", which was named after a part of the title of his book, Hisab al-jabr w'al-muqabala, along with the algorism number system
pull factor → Chanakya
what specific advantage did the europeans have over non-europeans in arriving at the americas first? → to make as much money as possible and get rich quick
import substitution → establishing something (e.g. gold or silver) as the legal tender of a country
coalbrookdale → The process of buying a good in one market at a low price and selling it in another market at a higher price