5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- which class came to dominate european society after 1492
- what does the author mean by "extra european economy" that was instrumental in the rise of capitalism in Europe and not anywhere else?
- Triangular Trade
- a The Muqaddimah English: Ibn Khaldun's Introduction, also known as the Muqaddimah of Ibn Khaldun or the Prolegomena is a book written by the Maghrebian Muslim historian Ibn Khaldun in 1377 which records an early view of universal history. Some modern thinkers view it as the first work dealing with the philosophy of history or the social science of sociology demography, historiography or cultural history. and economics, The Muqaddimah also deals with Islamic theology, political theory and the natural sciences of biology and chemistry. Ibn Khaldun wrote the work in 1377 as the preface or first book of his planned world history, the Kitab al-Ibar but already in his lifetime it became regarded as an independent work.
- b exploitation of resources, capital, labor, and land outside europe to enrich the merchant class of europe who eventually took control of the society
- c The backbone of New England's economy during the colonial period. Ships from New England sailed first to Africa, exchanging New England rum for slaves. The slaves were shipped from Africa to the Caribbean (this was known as the Middle Passage, when many slaves died on the ships). In the Caribbean, the slaves were traded for sugar and molasses. Then the ships returned to New England, where the molasses were used to make rum.
- d An economic theory that government should not regulate or interfere with commerce
- e merchant- entrpreneurial class which acquired enormous wealth
5 Multiple choice questions
- (1924-96) The Structure of Scientific Revolutions, development of scientific disciplines is discontinuous, and at critical junctures mass changes occurred/paradigm view
- Winds in the Indian ocean move in a clockwise direction while that of Atlantic in anti-clock wise direction. So the design of the Asian and african ships were unsuited for sail in the atlantic
- brazil in the 16th century growing sugar
- Attractions that draw migrants to a certain place, such as a pleasant climate and employment or educational opportunities.
- "Non-action," "not doing," or "inaction"; the Taoist form of action, meaning to do nothing in such a way that all things are accomplished and the world is brought into subjection to the Tao.
5 True/False questions
wootz → steel characterised by pattern of bands or sheets
Quantity Theory of Money → establishing something (e.g. gold or silver) as the legal tender of a country
ibn al-haytham → muslim mathematician who produced a book called Optics which revolutionized ideas about vision. he showed that people see objects because rays pass from the objects to the eyes, not vice versa
aryabhatta → Chanakya
Price Revolution of 16th century → inflation supply gos up, price goes down value of the coin goes down, Caused by the importation of silver and gold into the European economy