5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- favorable balance of trade
- joint-stock company
- a investors buy shares of stock to reduce risks of investing money in colonization. responsible for establishing Jamestown; England's first North American colony.
- b country sells more goods than it buys. ultimate goal to become self-sufficient, not dependent on other countries for goods. colonies played role of supplier and provided a market.
- c lived in Manchuria. invaded China, Ming Dynasty collapsed. began Qing Dynasty. expanded empire's borders.
- d natives farmed, ranched or mined for Spanish landlords. many laborers worked to death. sometimes mestizo children worked for parents.
- e lands that are controlled by another nation.
5 Multiple choice questions
- country's power dependent mainly on wealth. allowed nations to build strong navies, purchase vital goods. obtain as much gold and silver as possible or establish favorable balance of trade
- Portuguese supporter of exploration. founded navigational school, sought wealth outside Europe.
- voyage that brought captured Africans to West Indies, North and South America. middle leg of transatlantic trade triangle.
- conquistador who marched into South America and conquered Inca. tricked and killed Incan ruler Atahualpa and took ransom.
- establish direct trade throughout Asia. power to mint own money, make treaties, raise own armies. established trading headquarters in Batavia, conquered nearby islands.
5 True/False questions
Hongwu → power struggle after his father, Hongwu's death. moved royal court to Beijing. launched treasure ship voyages to impress world with splendor and power of Ming China.
triangular trade → manufactured goods go to Africa, goods exchanged for slaves, slaves transported to West Indies, sold to Americas
capitalism → country's power dependent mainly on wealth. allowed nations to build strong navies, purchase vital goods. obtain as much gold and silver as possible or establish favorable balance of trade
Yonglo → first Ming emperor. encouraged return to Confucian moral standards. restored merit-based civil service exam system. later became ruthless tyrant.
Ming Dynasty → drove out Mongol rulers. China became dominant power in Asia. had many vassal states that paid tribute.