5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- favorable balance of trade
- middle passage
- Dutch East India Company
- a economic system based on private ownership and the investment of resources. profits from exploration allowed for reinvestments in other areas. lead to inflation in Europe.
- b establish direct trade throughout Asia. power to mint own money, make treaties, raise own armies. established trading headquarters in Batavia, conquered nearby islands.
- c country sells more goods than it buys. ultimate goal to become self-sufficient, not dependent on other countries for goods. colonies played role of supplier and provided a market.
- d voyage that brought captured Africans to West Indies, North and South America. middle leg of transatlantic trade triangle.
- e natives farmed, ranched or mined for Spanish landlords. many laborers worked to death. sometimes mestizo children worked for parents.
5 Multiple choice questions
- investors buy shares of stock to reduce risks of investing money in colonization. responsible for establishing Jamestown; England's first North American colony.
- upheld Confucian beliefs, social structures, made frontiers safe. accepted Dutch as trading partners.
- manufactured goods go to Africa, goods exchanged for slaves, slaves transported to West Indies, sold to Americas
- lands that are controlled by another nation.
- landed in Mexico, looked to claim land for Spain. overtook Aztec empire.
5 True/False questions
atlantic slave trade → manufactured goods go to Africa, goods exchanged for slaves, slaves transported to West Indies, sold to Americas
Francisco Pizarro → conquistador who marched into South America and conquered Inca. tricked and killed Incan ruler Atahualpa and took ransom.
Yonglo → first Ming emperor. encouraged return to Confucian moral standards. restored merit-based civil service exam system. later became ruthless tyrant.
Vasco da Gama → economic system based on private ownership and the investment of resources. profits from exploration allowed for reinvestments in other areas. lead to inflation in Europe.
Bartolomeu Dias → Incan ruler. forces crushed. kidnapped and strangled after converting to Christianity.