VS.5 4th Grade SOL Studies - Virginia's Role in the Revolutionary War
VS.5a - The Declaration of Independence States the Reasons Colonies Fight for Independence VS.5b - Virginians in the Revolutionary War: VS 5c - Washington, Jefferson, and Patrick Henry
Terms in this set (14)
Why is the Declaration of Independence an important document?
The Declaration of Independence gave reasons for independence and ideas for self-government.
Who wrote the Declaration of Independence?
What year was the Declaration of Independence written?
Thomas Jefferson wrote the Declaration of Independence in July 4,1776.
The Declaration of Independence states that
-authority to govern belongs to the people rather than to kings
-all people are created equal
-all have rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
Varied roles of Virginians in the Revolutionary War era
• PATRIOTS - Virginia patriots served in the Continental Army and fought against the English, leading to the English surrender at Yorktown.
• NEUTRAL- Some Virginians were neutral and did not take sides.
• LOYAL- Other Virginians remained loyal to England.
• DIVIDED- African Americans from Virginia were divided about the war. Some slaves fought for the English because they were promised freedom.
He was the first President provided military leadership by serving as commander-in-chief of the Continental Army.
He provided political leadership by expressing the reasons for colonial independence from England in the Declaration of Independence.
He inspired patriots from other colonies when he spoke out against taxation without representation by saying, "...give me liberty or give me death."
James Armistead Lafayette
He was a slave from Virginia, served in the Continental Army and was given his freedom after the war.
During the war, women took on more responsibility.
What was the importance of the American victory at Yorktown?
• The last major battle of the Revolutionary War was fought at Yorktown, Virginia.
• The American victory at Yorktown resulted in the surrender of the English army, bringing an end to the war.
How did the colonists' ideas about government differ from those of the English Parliament?
• Parliament believed it had legal authority in the colonies.
• Parliament believed it had the right to tax the colonies
• Colonists believed their local assemblies had legal authority.
• Colonists believed they should not be taxed since they had no representation in Parliament.
He rode on horseback through the backwoods of Virginia to Charlottesville to warn Thomas Jefferson, then governor of Virginia, that the British were coming to arrest him and mem- bers of the General Assembly.
What was the importance of the Battle of Great Bridge?
It was the first land battle of the American Revolution fought in Virginia. The American victory forced the British colonial governor to flee the City of Norfolk.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
VS 5 American Revolution SOL Pass info
Governor's Race - Level 6
VS 5---Revolutionary War
VS5 Revolutionary War
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Week of March 31 Word List: miss, mit = send
STAAR Vocabulary 6th Grade
Word List: bio = life
CSET Science Subtest II: Ecology: Abiotic and Biotic Factors; Role of Photosynthesis and Respiration; Interactions withing and among ecosystems; Factors that Affect Population Size
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
VS.3 4th Grade SOL Studies - Colonization and Conflict: 1607 through the American Revolution
VS.2 4th Grade SOL Studies - Geography - Rivers, Regions and Indian Language Groups
VS.8 4th Grade SOL StudiesReconstruction
VS.4 4th Grade SOL Studies - Life in the Virginia Colony