Upgrade to remove ads
VS.8 4th Grade SOL StudiesReconstruction
VS. 8a - Reconstruction VS. 8b - Segregation and "Jim Crow" VS. 8c - Virginia began to grow in many areas after the Civil War and Reconstruction. Virginia's cities grew with people, businesses, and factories.
Terms in this set (12)
What is reconstruction?
The period following the Civil War in which Congress passed laws designed to rebuild the country and bring the southern states back into the Union.
What were some of the problems Virginians faced during the reconstruction period?
* Millions of freed African Americans needed housing, education, clothing, food, and jobs
* Virginia's economy was in ruins:
-Money had no value.
-Banks were closed.
-Railroads, bridge, plantations, and cropswere destroyed.
What measures were taken to resolve the reconstruction problems?
-The Freedmen's Bureau
What is the Freedmen's Bureau?
-was a government agency that provided food, schools, and medical care for freed African Americans and others in Virginia.
What is sharecropping?
-was a system common in Virginia after the war in which freed men and poor white farmers rented land from a landowner by promising to pay the owner with a share of the crop.
What is segregation?
The separation of people, usually based on race or religion
What is discrimination?
An unfair difference in the treatment of people
What happened to the rights of African Americans after Reconstruction?
African Americans began to have power in Virginia's government, and men of all races could vote.
What is Jim Crow" Laws?
After Reconstruction, these gains were lost when "Jim Crow" Laws were passed by southern states. "Jim Crow" Laws established segregation or separation of the races and reinforced prejudices held by whites.
What is freedoms and rights?
The freedoms and rights promised to African Americans were slowly taken away after Reconstruction, and it would take years to win them back.
What are the ways "Jim Crow" laws had an effect on African American and American Indians life?
• Unfair poll taxes and voting tests were established to keep African Americans from voting.
• African Americans found it very difficult to vote or hold public office.
• African Americans were forced to use separate drinking fountains,restrooms and restaurants. African American and white children attended separate schools restrooms and restaurants.
• African American and white children attended separate schools.
What changes took place in Virginia to boost the economic growth?
• Railroads were a key to the expansion of business, agri culture, and industry. They facilitated the growth of small towns to cities.
• Other parts of Virginia grew as other industries developed. Coal deposits were discovered in Tazewell County.
• The need for more and better roads increased.
• Tobacco farming and tobacco products became important Virginia industries.
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
VS.2 4th Grade SOL Studies - Geography - Rivers, R…
VS.3 4th Grade SOL Studies - Colonization and Conf…
VS.5 4th Grade SOL Studies - Virginia's Role in th…
VS.4 4th Grade SOL Studies - Life in the Virginia…
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Reconstruction - 4th Grade History
DIEHL - Reconstruction of Virginia
Marathon to the Mansion: Checkpt 8
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Week of March 31 Word List: miss, mit = send
STAAR Vocabulary 6th Grade
Word List: bio = life
CSET Science Subtest II: Ecology: Abiotic and Biot…