1. Place the following networking technologies in the order of their highest speed, from slow- est to fastest: ﬁber optic, dial-up networking, cable modem, Fast Ethernet
Dail-up, cable modem, fiber optic, fast ethernet.
2. What is the difference between ADSL and SDSL?
ADSL(Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line) uses one upload speed from the consumer to an ISP and a faster downloads Speed. SDSL (Symmetric Digital Subscriber Line) Uses equal bandwiths in both directions.
3. Among satellite, cable modem, and DSL, which technology experiences more latency?
4. When using DSL to connect to the Internet, the data transmission shares the cabling with what other technology?
5. When using a cable modem to connect to the Internet, the data transmission shares the cabling with what other technology?
6. Which version of 802.11 technologies can use two antennas at both the access point and the network adapter?
7. Which wireless encryption standard is stronger, WEP or WPA?
8. What is the name of the port used by an Ethernet cable? What is the name of the port used by a dial-up modem?
9. If you want to upgrade your 100BaseT Ethernet network so that it will run about 10 times the current speed, what technology would you use?
10. What is the maximum length of a cable on a 100BaseT network?
100 meters or 328 feet
11. What does the 100 in the name 100BaseT indicate?
The transmission speed of the network which is 100 Mbps.
12. Which type of networking cable is more reliable, STP or UTP?
STP is more reliable
13. Which is more expensive, UTP CAT5e cabling or STP CAT5e cabling?
STP CAT5e is more expensive because it is shielded
14. How can you tell the difference between a patch cable and a crossover cable by examining the cable?
Look for the label imprinted on the cable
15. What type of server serves up IP addresses to computers on a network?
16. What type of protocol is used to present a public IP address to computers outside the LAN to handle requests to use the Internet from computers inside the LAN?
17. How many bits are in an IPv4 IP address?
18. What port does the SMTP protocol use by default?
19. Which protocol does a Web server use when transmissions are encrypted for security?
20. What type of server resolves fully qualiﬁed domain names to IP addresses?
21. What is the maximum length of a NetBIOS name?
22. What is the name of the ﬁle that keeps associations between computer names and IP addresses on the local computer?
23. What protocol is replacing the POP protocol used to receive e-mail?
24. Approximately how many IP addresses are available for a single Class A IP license? Class B? Class C?
16 million, 65,000, and 254
25. What are IP addresses called that begin with 10, 172.16, or 192.168?
Private IP addresses
26. In what class is the IP address 22.214.171.124?
27. In what class is the IP address 126.96.36.199?
28. Describe the difference between public and private IP addresses. If a network is using pri- vate IP addresses, how can the computers on that network access the Internet?
Public IP addresses are licensed and authorized to use the Internet. Private IP addresses are not authorized or licensed to use the Internet. A computer with a private IP address uses a proxy server to access the Internet.
29. Why is it unlikely that you will ﬁnd the IP address 192.168.250.10 on the Internet?
IP addresses that begin with 192.168 are private IP addresses.
30. If no DHCP server is available on a network, what type of conﬁguration must computers on the network use for assignments of IP addresses?
Static IP addressing
31. If a computer is found to have an IP address of 169.254.1.1, what can you assume about how it received that IP address?
The IP address was automatically assigned by Windows when it failed to lease an address from the DHCP server. The computer received an APIPA IP address.
32. What command can be used to cause Windows to release its IP address?
33. What is the purpose of the command, ping 127.0.0.1?
To verify that TCP/IP is configured correctly.
WEP encryption standard is stronger than WPA encryption
PVC-grade Category 5e cable is two to three times more expensive than Plenum CAT5e cable which can be run in ventilated areas