Create an account
1. Place the following networking technologies in the order of their highest speed, from slow-
est to fastest: ﬁber optic, dial-up networking, cable modem, Fast Ethernet
Dail-up, cable modem, fiber optic, fast ethernet.
2. What is the difference between ADSL and SDSL?
ADSL(Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line) uses one upload speed from the consumer to an ISP and a faster downloads Speed. SDSL (Symmetric Digital Subscriber Line) Uses equal bandwiths in both directions.
4. When using DSL to connect to the Internet, the data transmission shares the cabling with what other technology?
5. When using a cable modem to connect to the Internet, the data transmission shares the cabling with what other technology?
6. Which version of 802.11 technologies can use two antennas at both the access point and the network adapter?
8. What is the name of the port used by an Ethernet cable? What is the name of the port used by a dial-up modem?
9. If you want to upgrade your 100BaseT Ethernet network so that it will run about 10 times the current speed, what technology would you use?
11. What does the 100 in the name 100BaseT indicate?
The transmission speed of the network which is 100 Mbps.
13. Which is more expensive, UTP CAT5e cabling or STP CAT5e cabling?
STP CAT5e is more expensive because it is shielded
14. How can you tell the difference between a patch cable and a crossover cable by examining the cable?
Look for the label imprinted on the cable
16. What type of protocol is used to present a public IP address to computers outside the LAN to handle requests to use the Internet from computers inside the LAN?
22. What is the name of the ﬁle that keeps associations between computer names and IP addresses on the local computer?
24. Approximately how many IP addresses are available for a single Class A IP license? Class B? Class C?
16 million, 65,000, and 254
28. Describe the difference between public and private IP addresses. If a network is using pri- vate IP addresses, how can the computers on that network access the Internet?
Public IP addresses are licensed and authorized to use the Internet. Private IP addresses are not authorized or licensed to use the Internet. A computer with a private IP address uses a proxy server to access the Internet.
29. Why is it unlikely that you will ﬁnd the IP address 192.168.250.10 on the Internet?
IP addresses that begin with 192.168 are private IP addresses.
30. If no DHCP server is available on a network, what type of conﬁguration must computers on the network use for assignments of IP addresses?
Static IP addressing
31. If a computer is found to have an IP address of 169.254.1.1, what can you assume about how it received that IP address?
The IP address was automatically assigned by Windows when it failed to lease an address from the DHCP server. The computer received an APIPA IP address.
33. What is the purpose of the command, ping 127.0.0.1?
To verify that TCP/IP is configured correctly.
PVC-grade Category 5e cable is two to three times more expensive than Plenum CAT5e cable which can be run in ventilated areas
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together