5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Iwo Juma
- Invasion of Italy
- Operation Overlord
- a city of 27,000 people. Three days after the US dropped the bomb on Hiroshima, the US dropped the bomb of this this city. Radiation fallout from the two explosions killed many more
- b code name for the invasion of Normany which was the largest land and sea attack in history. Began on June 6, 1944
- c started July 10, 1943. Allied forces landed on Sicily and captured it from Italian and German troops about a month later. The conquest of Sicily toppled Mussolini from power. On Sept 3rd, Italy surrendered
- d Japanese suicide pilots. They would sink Allied ships by crash-diving their bomb-filled planes into them
- e March 1945, Island 760 miles from Tokyo
5 Multiple choice questions
- Although the war in Europe was over, the Allies were still fighting the Japenese in the Pacific. In October, Allied forces landed on the island of Leyte in the Philippines. Japanese made a plan to destroy the American fleet, thus preventing the Allies from resupplying their ground troops. On October 23, the Japanese lost almost the entire Japanese fleet, eliminating its fighting force in the war.
- american general who led the Operation Torch
- Hitler and his wife (Eva Praun) committed suicide
- December 16. Battle of the Bulge. German tanks broke through weak American defenses along a 75-mile front in the Ardennes. The push into Allied lines gave the campaign its name. Although caught off guard, the Allies eventually pushed the German's back and the Germans had no choice but to retreat, eading to the rapid end of the war.
- London-Battle of Britain.
Warsaw-1.3 million to 153,000
5 True/False questions
V-E- day → at dawn that day, British, American, French & Canadian troops fought their way onto a 60-mile stretch of beach in Normandy. The Germans had dug in with machine guns, rocket launchers, and cannons. They sheltered behind concrete walls. The Allies took heavy casualties. 2,700 American men died that day. The Allies held the beachheads. On July 25, the Allies punched a hole in the German defenses and The US third army led by General George Patton, broke out. A month later, the Allies march triumphantly into Paris
Battle of El Alamein → the Germans advanced to an Egyptian village called El Alamein. They were dug in so well that British forces could not go around them and needed to dislodge them with a massive frontal attack. began night of October 23rd. Ended November 4th. About one thousand British guns took axis soldiers by surprise and eventually beat them
How did Japanese government change? → it would bring war to a quick end
Allies: efforts at home → December 16. Battle of the Bulge. German tanks broke through weak American defenses along a 75-mile front in the Ardennes. The push into Allied lines gave the campaign its name. Although caught off guard, the Allies eventually pushed the German's back and the Germans had no choice but to retreat, eading to the rapid end of the war.
How many deaths from the war? How many were in the Soviet Union? → Hitler and his wife (Eva Praun) committed suicide