5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- The Middle East
- a Christianity and Buddhism, though fundamentally very different both are offshoots of older exclusive ethnic-based religions. Each spread throughout the reminents of a great classical empire of the time. Because anyone could join these new religions, they could be described as _______.
- b In about the 1500s BCE these people were migrating tribes from present-day southeast Russia. Some traveled to Europe, some to Persia, and some to India. Thus, today many people in Europe, Perisa, and India share some lingustic, cultural, and biological roots.
- c The Phonecian traders brought the first alphabet from the Middle East to the Greeks because both were seafaring traders in this sea.
Christianity first developed in Palestine on the Eastern Mediterranean Sea, which is in what general region of the world?
- e Chinese civilization began as small kingdoms and dynasties on this river, named after the color of the loess-type soil.
5 Multiple choice questions
Although it had a rich and sophisticated civilization, this American empire did not have a written language.
- Chinese Dynasty (206 BCE - 220 CE) ruled a centralized and growing empire for 400 years. Complex centralized buraucracy with Civil service system based on Confucianism. Traded on Silk Road.
- This body of water separates the Arabian Peninsula from Africa.
- Chinese language is made up of four different _____ which change the meaning of the words being spoken.
- Existed from 27 BCE to about 400 CE. Conquiered entire Mediterranean coast and most of Europe. Ruled by an emperor. Eventually oversaw the rise and spread of Christianity.
5 True/False questions
Ashoka → Leader of the Mauryan dynasty of India who conquered most of India but eventually gave up violence and converted to Buddhism.
Roman Republic → This city state was ruled by a senate, spoke Latin, and borrowed heavily from Greek culture. They militarily expanded their territory for centuries but the senate eventually was overthrown by an imperial system.
Buddhism → Chinese religion from 500s BCE that emphasized following the mystical and indescribable "Way." It celebrated the chaos and contradictions of reality as well as the harmony of nature. The Yin and Yang symbolizes many aspects of this religion.
Reincarnation → Hindu and Buddhist belief that souls are reborn into new bodies over and over.
CE → Dates that countdown backwards to the year zero.