5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Alexander the Great
- a People in this region developed complex urban societies and empires without the benefit of large pack animals or Iron technology.
Famous example of Roman engineering that also made possible the existence of large cities.
- c The Phonecian traders brought the first alphabet from the Middle East to the Greeks because both were seafaring traders in this sea.
- d Before agriculture, men and women are believed to have a greater degree of equality. But after the rise of agriculture, most human societies became ________
- e He and his father defeated and united the weakened Greek city-states and he defeated the Persian Empire in 330 BCE thus spreading Greek culture and influence throughout Western Asia.
5 Multiple choice questions
- The name of the first culture in the world to develop cities.
- Chinese language is made up of four different _____ which change the meaning of the words being spoken.
- Known for their culture (such as art, architecture and philosophy). Made up of city-states. Didn't have a large empire or military.
- All three of the classical empires (Romans, Han, and Gupta) faced the threat of invasion by this central Asian pastoral nomadic group.
- Existed from 27 BCE to about 400 CE. Conquiered entire Mediterranean coast and most of Europe. Ruled by an emperor. Eventually oversaw the rise and spread of Christianity.
5 True/False questions
Civilization → Hindu and Buddhist belief that souls are reborn into new bodies over and over.
BCE → Dates that countdown backwards to the year zero.
imported → Both Greece and Japan owe their advancement to the fact that they ______ ideas from other more sophisticated regions (China in the case of Japan and the Middle East in the case of Europe)
Maya → Chinese Dynasty (206 BCE - 220 CE) ruled a centralized and growing empire for 400 years. Complex centralized buraucracy with Civil service system based on Confucianism. Traded on Silk Road.
Buddhism → Belief system that started in India in the 500s BC. Happiness can be achieved through removal of one's desires. Believers seek enlightenment and the overcoming of suffering.