5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- T.S. Eliot
- Il Duce
- Crisis Years/Post War Uncertainty
- Franz Kafka
- a Czech novelist who wrote in German about a nightmarish world of isolated and troubled individuals (1883-1924). Much affected by the horrors of war.
- b Artistic technique that attempts to portray and interpret life as if it takes place in a dream
- c the period of time after the war where the people were unsure of what would happen next and they were still recovering from the war
- d American who became a British citizen; won the Nobel Peace prize in literature; wrote poetry and drama
- e the Leader; Benito Mussolini
5 Multiple choice questions
- a philosophy based on the idea that people give meaning to their lives through their choices and actions
- a major leader of the existentialist movement. a philosopher.
- militant-political movement, emphasizing loyalty and obedience. not clearly defined (communism is clearly defined, whereas fascism is not) there is a dictator, individual rights are looked down upon, belief that classes had a place and a function, nationalist belief.
- The doctrines of nationalism, racial purity, anti-Communism, and the all-powerful role of the State. The National Socialist German Workers Party, otherwise known as the Nazi Party. Nazism was advocated by Adolf Hitler in Germany.
- Foreign Ministers who attempted to improve relationships between the two countries.
5 True/False questions
Kellogg-Briand Pact → Irish poet and dramatist (1865-1939)
Francisco Franco → 1938 conference at which European leaders attempted to appease Hitler by turning over the Sudetenland to him in exchange for promise that Germany would not expand Germany's territory any further.
Dawes Plan → An Irish novelist who wrote Ulysses, a stream of consciousness book
Charles Lindbergh → English comedian and film maker; portrayed a downtrodden little man in baggy pants and bowler hat
Amelia Earhart → First female pilot to cross the Atlantic. She disappeared while trying to fly around the world.