Create an account
petroleum as it comes out of the ground and before it has been refined or processed into useful products such as petrol and plastics
a naturally occurring or synthetic compound consisting of large molecules made up of a linked series of repeated simple monomers
effect of Moleculer weight (MW) of plastic
1 .higher molecular weight polymers tend to be tougher and more chemically resistant
2. the higher the molecular weight is, the more energy in the form of temperature and pressure required to process the material
Polymers may form into:
1. long chains of molecules without any side protrusions or branches
2. may form in the shape of branched molecules
3. giant three-dimensional networks
4. linear molecules with regular lateral connections to form "laddertype" polymers
5. two-dimensional networks or platelets
2. do not have melting points, but rather softening ranges
3. normally transparent
4. undergo only small volume changes when solidifying from the melt
1. have considerable order to the molecules in the solid state
2. have a true melting point with a latent heat of fusion associated with the melting and freezing process
3. have a relatively large volume change during the transition from melt to solid
linear polymers, such as high-density polyethylene
made of molecules that resemble spaghetti
in a bowl and are relatively free to slide over
one another or to pack more closely together
Branched polymers, such
as low-density polyethylene
1. have side appendages and interconnections that cause the molecules to resemble clumps of tree branches that cannot be easily compressed or compacted.
2. Have more voids, so are more permeable to gases and solvents than linear polymers,
3. lower in density (since the molecules are not compacted
1. the individual chain segments are strongly bound together by chemical unions
2. Example: family of thermosetting
3. do not exhibit creep or relaxation unless such primary bonds actually are broken by continually applied stress or by elevated
temperatures high enough to cause chemical
decomposition of the polymer.
4. fairly resistant to solvent attack
The repetitive bonding of small molecules (monomers) to produce large molecules (polymers).
arrangement of the molecules
within the structure of a polymer mass
in most cases relatively sensitive to temperature
structure of any given polymer
can be significantly changed
by exposing it to
different temperatures and enenal treatments
The simple substitution of a single hydrogen atom with another atom or chemical group can
cause a drastic change in the properties of a
polymer. Example: polyethylene vs polystyrene
1. always have more than two linkages connecting the various structural units in the polymer
2. commonly referred to as cross-linked materials involving a networklike molecular structure
Milky/waxy texture or feel, very versatile plastic (can be formed in a number of ways). Used in sheeting or film (painters tarps), bottles, containers, tupperware, ethafoam rod, and other polyethylene foams.
_________ is used extensively in disposable diapers, geotextiles for road beds, tufted carpet backing, indoor-outdoor carpet, protective coverall, and wickable underwear.
polymer of styrene; hard, rigid, clear solid, soluble in organic solvents used in toys, cabinets and packaging
vinyl polymer constructed of repeating vinyl groups (ethenyls) having one of their hydrogens replaced with a chloride group. Polyvinyl chloride is the third most widely produced plastic, after polyethylene and polypropylene. PVC is widely used in construction because it is cheap, durable, and easy to assemble
polyacrylonitrile have been used as fibers in hot gas filtration systems, outdoor awnings, sails for yachts, and fiber-reinforced concrete
Methyl pentene polymer (TPX)
excellent electrical insulating properties and strong hydrolysis resistance. In addition, TPX® features low dielectric, superb clarity, transparency, gas permeability, heat and chemical resistance and release qualities. caps for makeup, animal cages etc
(PMMA) is a transparent thermoplastic, often used as a lightweight or shatter-resistant alternative to glass. It is sometimes called acrylic glass
Weather resistant film for glazing panels, surface covering for PVC film. Film covering in aircraft interiors to reduce flammability, glazing for solar panels
PVDF It is available as piping products, sheet, tubing, films, plate and an insulator for premium wire. high gloss metal paints, chemical resistant
(organic chemistry) A high-strength polymer of chlorinated polyvinyl chloride; it is self-extinguishing and has superior chemical resistance; used for pipes carrying hot, corrosive materials. Abbreviated PVDC.
Found by Accident in 1983 by Roy Plunkett
Teflon is a Polymer
Found in: Space Shuttles, Surgical Implants, stain Gaurds, easy to clean pots and pans, Trade name of PTFE. Coating for cookware, oil resistant finish
plastics that char (blacken) when heated instead of softening; polyester, epoxy, FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic), melamine, polyethylene, vinyls,
. . . . . . . . plastics have strong covalent bonds between atoms but have weak intermolecular bonds
_________________The breaking of the long carbon chains found in the hydrocarbons in crude oil by heating at high temperatures to form smaller molecules that are more useful.
_______________________capable of being broken down by microorganisms into simple compounds such as carbon dioxide, water, or minerals
________________________things that are not able to be broken down by bacteria or other living things. EX: plastic bags, Sytrofoam, glass
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together