5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- a circus performer
- His wife Theodora wanted to die an empress rather than run; He stayed with her.
- Christian clergy
- it was far away from the wars & invasions among the barbarians in other parts of Europe
- a Why was Constantine's new city so secure?
- b What was Theodora before she married the emperor?
- c Why did Justinian not run for his life during the Nika Riots?
- d What did the Roman emperor change the name of the city & it became one of the greatest cities in the world?
- e Constantine gave ______ the same benefits that were enjoyed by pagan priests.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Who was the first great emperor of Byzantium that ruled from 527-565?
- Where could the Athenians sail west to trade with the Greeks, Romans, and North Africans?
- What was the new, much shorter law code called?
- What was the church built in the form of?
- What is a large open-air stadium that Belisarius attacked the Blues & the Greens as they were holding a meeting?
5 True/False questions
it's safe & a good place for trading → Why do you think the Athenians moved from Athens to Byzantium?
mosaics → What did the Ottoman Turks add, that is four surrounding towers in 1453?
persecution → What did Constantine outlaw?
barbarian → Byzantium was a good location for trade because they had a _______ north of the village?
Black Sea → What's the name Romans gave to nomadic people who did not have the same culture as Rome & did not speak Latin or Greek?