5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- 1owning land and 2participating in many occupations like trade and handicrafts
- pope relinquished demand to rule religious estates in Germany
- his domain (Ile-de-France) was very small, and he posed no threat/challenge to nobles
- ~1 - used paid officials who were loyal to him and were drawn from Church, middle class, poorer nobility
~2 - granted charters to new towns
~3 - organized a standing army
~4 - introduced national tax
- Henry claimed right to try clerics accused of crimes (e.g., murder) in civil court. Thomas fiercely opposed king on issue
- a What restrictions did the Catholic Church impose on Jews during the Middle Ages?
- b What concession to the Holy Roman Emperor(s) did the Catholic Church make as a result of the Concordat of Worms?
- c What was the issue over which Henry II and Thomas Becket quarreled?
- d Why did French nobles elect Hugh Capet as the French king in 987 A.D.?
- e Through what means/actions did Philip II strengthen the power of the central government during his reign?
5 Multiple choice questions
- What was the most obvious manifestation of the decrease in papal prestige resulting from the clash between Pope Boniface and Philip IV of France?
- Over what issue did Philip IV and Pope Boniface clash?
- Through what means did the early Capetian kings strengthen theirs and the power of the central government in France?
- In what ways did the Church attempt to protect women during the Middle Ages?
- What were the goals of the Cluniac movement?
5 True/False questions
colonization of England; they cut down primeval forests and developed heavy clay soil of central England for cultivation → What was the greatest achievement of the Anglo-Saxons?
called to give evidence on which they had personal knowledge, accuse suspected criminals, and testify to royal order and finances in area → What was the most obvious manifestation of the decrease in papal prestige resulting from the clash between Pope Boniface and Philip IV of France?
schools, hospitals, and hospice for travelers and pilgrims → What types of social services did monasteries and convents provide during the Middle Ages?
lay investiture (secular rulers claiming the right to appoint church officials) → What was the "key" issue over which popes and Holy Roman Emperors clashed?
manual labor → What type of behavior/activity was stressed in the Benedictine Rule?