Create an account
1. List the six steps used by a laser printer to print a page.
1. Cleaning. The drum is cleaned of any residual toner and electrical charge.
2. Conditioning. The drum is conditioned to contain a high electrical charge.
3. Writing. A laser beam discharges the high charge down to a lower charge, but only in places where toner should go.
4. Developing. Toner is placed onto the drum where the charge has been reduced.
5. Transferring. A strong electrical charge draws the toner off the drum onto the paper. This is the first step that takes place outside the cartridge.
6. Fusing. Heat and pressure fuse the toner to the paper.
2. Which document exhibits better quality, one printed with 600 dpi or one printed with 1200 dpi? Why?
1200 dpi. The more dots per inch there are, the more detail you can print and the finer the resolution.
3. During the laser printing process, what determines when the toner sticks to the drum and when it does not stick to the drum?
During the writing phase, the uniform high charge is discharged only in the places where toner is meant to stick to the drum.
4. What type printer is most dependent on the quality paper it uses to get the best printing results?
5. Why is it less expensive to maintain an inkjet printer that has a black ink cartridge than one that does not?
If an inkjet printer does not have a black ink cartridge, then it combines all colors of ink to produce a dull black. Having a separate cartridge for black ink means that it prints a true black and, more importantly, does not use the more expensive colored ink. You can replace the black cartridge without also replacing the colored ink cartridge.
6. What should you do if an inkjet printer prints with missing dots or lines on the page?
Clean the inkjet nozzles (manually for older inkjet printers or automatically for newer ones).
8. What feature on a printer must be enabled so that a printer can automatically print on both sides of the paper?
9. What two Windows XP components are used to share resources on a network and access those shared resources?
Client for Microsoft Networks and File and Printer Sharing
10. How do you share a local printer with others in the workgroup?
Open the Printers or Printers and Faxes window. Right-click the printer you want to share and select Sharing from the shortcut menu.
16. How can you prove a printer problem is not with the printer itself, but lies with the network, computer, OS, or application?
Print a self-test page using printer controls
17. When you get a toner-low message, what can you do to extend the life of the toner cartridge before you replace the cartridge?
Gently shake the toner cartridge to redistribute the toner
19. List two possible ways to improve printing speed.
• Add more memory to the printer
• Add more memory to the PC
20. What is likely the problem when a portion of a complicated page does not print?
The printer does not have enough memory
a tablet pc has more features than a notebook, including a touch screen that also allows you to handwrite on it with a stylus
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together