Describe the colonial population after the Seven Year's War
-Population continued to grow approx. 2.5 million people, black, white, were living in Great Britain's thirteen colonies. - The population was young; nearly 60% of the American people were under the age of 21.
Discuss King George III's governing style
- He was imposing decisions on the leading Parliament rather than governing through them - George III destroyed the relationship that George II left (accepted a situation to where whigs in Parliament did not meddle with his army) - he let unwanted taxes to the colonists were coming not from King George III himself, but rather Parliament - George III attempted to reestablish personal Stuart monarchy free from traditional constitutional restraints
Name the concept that was at the heart of the Imperial/colonial struggle
-Parliamentary sovereignty couldn't see the view from the other side.
Explain the differences between British & colonial views on representation
- British: Americans were represented, virtually. - Colonial: Unfair for parliament to tax us
Discuss the outstanding legacy of the Seven Year's
7. Describe colonial reaction to the Stamp Act
- To sell things you had to have a stamp act - Reaction elective assembly's electing the act - Resistance spreads to the people
6. List George Grenville's legislative program.
- Colonist should help maintain the army - The sugar act was pay tax on sugar, attempt to tax colonist
Describe the intent & results of the Townshend Program
- Intent: * Raise revenue from the colonist & Have money to pay British officials in America. Results: * Boycott of British goods by the common men * Massachuset elected assembly send a communication to the other colonies suggested way to deal * Circular letter for intercommunication among the colony convince the colonist of the righteousness of their position.
Describe the origins & results of the Boston Massacre
- ORIGINS * British transfer troop to Boston for less expenses. * Troops are in contact with the Bostonians * Some of the soldiers kill 5 colonists RESULTS * Intense reaction by the colonist * British official move the troops out of Boston * Townshend duty were repelled * Tax on tea was retained. * Colonists drown back
Describe the origins & results of the Boston Tea Party
RESULTS - The English govt enacted a series of laws to punish Massachusetts colonist for what they did: * They lose the Boston port * They said that the upper house of Massa elected the assembly; no more town meeting more than once a year; no British official to be trial in the colony. * Army can take whatever they want
Describe the American response to the Intolerable Acts
- * The committee of correspondence has been established * A congress does meet, lot of representatives * Eventually, they do pass resolutions * they created an agreement - inter-colonial They authorized a network of committee to enforced that agreement.
Name the location of the first battle of the American Revolution
-paul revere? Lexington and Concord (eastern Massachusetts)
Discuss the accomplishments of the Second Continental Congress
>They pointed George Washington as the commander of the army(he is from Virginia) > Issued the declaration of the Independence
13. List the advantages & disadvantages of both the Americans & British in the Revolution
- Advantages British: much longer population; Very strong manufacturing; well-trained regular army American: DISAVANTAGE British: train a large army; avoid general action American
Explain Washington's military strategy in the American Revolution
- Strategy; train an army
Describe the British military strategy in 1776
- Move the World - Cutting off New England - Defeat the continent army in a conventional manner. - A Gorilla war developed btwn patrolist & loyalist - the leader of the British Army blunder screw up -When the battle occurred, the French enabled the Americans to carry the day
Describe the British military strategy in 1777
- British with addition effective by sessions, the Hudson river valley by preventing Over land people
Describe the short-term & long-term results of the Battle of Saratoga
- 58 000 soldiers cutting on New England fails long term: convince the French & British strong troops French declare war on British immediately after they declared that British had to send ships back to protect homeland.
Evaluate the British military southern strategy
- The loyalist becomes night bandit. so a guerilla war established
List the results of the Treaty of Paris of 1783
- Independance for the US * Agreement that Mississippi river & Appalachia Mountain go to Americans * Congress agrees that they will help get back