Create an account
Describe the colonial population after the Seven Year's War
-Population continued to grow approx. 2.5 million people, black, white, were living in Great Britain's thirteen colonies.
- The population was young; nearly 60% of the American people were under the age of 21.
Discuss King George III's governing style
- He was imposing decisions on the leading Parliament rather than governing through them
- George III destroyed the relationship that George II left (accepted a situation to where whigs in Parliament did not meddle with his army)
- he let unwanted taxes to the colonists were coming not from King George III himself, but rather Parliament
- George III attempted to reestablish personal Stuart monarchy free from traditional constitutional restraints
Name the concept that was at the heart of the Imperial/colonial struggle
-Parliamentary sovereignty couldn't see the view from the other side.
Explain the differences between British & colonial views on representation
- British: Americans were represented, virtually.
- Colonial: Unfair for parliament to tax us
7. Describe colonial reaction to the Stamp Act
- To sell things you had to have a stamp act
- Reaction elective assembly's electing the act
- Resistance spreads to the people
6. List George Grenville's legislative program.
- Colonist should help maintain the army
- The sugar act was pay tax on sugar, attempt to tax colonist
Describe the intent & results of the Townshend Program
* Raise revenue from the colonist & Have money to pay British officials in America.
* Boycott of British goods by the common men
* Massachuset elected assembly send a communication to the other colonies suggested way to deal
* Circular letter for intercommunication among the colony convince the colonist of the righteousness of their position.
Describe the origins & results of the Boston Massacre
* British transfer troop to Boston for less expenses.
* Troops are in contact with the Bostonians
* Some of the soldiers kill 5 colonists
* Intense reaction by the colonist
* British official move the troops out of Boston
* Townshend duty were repelled
* Tax on tea was retained.
* Colonists drown back
Describe the origins & results of the Boston Tea Party
RESULTS - The English govt enacted a series of laws to punish Massachusetts colonist for what they did:
* They lose the Boston port
* They said that the upper house of Massa elected the assembly; no more town meeting more than once a year; no British official to be trial in the colony.
* Army can take whatever they want
Describe the American response to the Intolerable Acts
- * The committee of correspondence has been established
* A congress does meet, lot of representatives
* Eventually, they do pass resolutions
* they created an agreement - inter-colonial
They authorized a network of committee to enforced that agreement.
Name the location of the first battle of the American Revolution
Lexington and Concord (eastern Massachusetts)
Discuss the accomplishments of the Second Continental Congress
>They pointed George Washington as the commander of the army(he is from Virginia)
> Issued the declaration of the Independence
13. List the advantages & disadvantages of both the Americans & British in the Revolution
British: much longer population; Very strong manufacturing; well-trained regular army
British: train a large army; avoid general action
Describe the British military strategy in 1776
- Move the World
- Cutting off New England
- Defeat the continent army in a conventional manner.
- A Gorilla war developed btwn patrolist & loyalist
- the leader of the British Army blunder screw up
-When the battle occurred, the French enabled the Americans to carry the day
Describe the British military strategy in 1777
- British with addition effective by sessions, the Hudson river valley by preventing Over land people
Describe the short-term & long-term results of the Battle of Saratoga
- 58 000 soldiers cutting on New England fails
long term: convince the French & British strong troops
French declare war on British immediately after they declared that British had to send ships back to protect homeland.
Evaluate the British military southern strategy
- The loyalist becomes night bandit. so a guerilla war established
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together