5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- high-level waste repository
- Light water reactor
- coliform bacteria
- a the SI unit of energy
- b used as a common measure of biological pollution and as a standard measure of microbial pollution. It is usually harmless, part of the normal constituents of human intestines and found in all human waste.
- c A common type of commercial nuclear reactor that uses ordinary (light) water as the moderator; Cold water from a local source is used to condense the steam, and that warm water is returned to the environment (thermal pollution)
- d force x distance
- e an area to store intensely radioactive wastes buried deep in the ground, hopefully unexposed to groundwater and earthquakes for the thousands of years required for radioactive materials to decay to a safe level
5 Multiple choice questions
- water that fills the cracks and spaces in underground soil and rock layers
- when a volume of air contains as much water vapor as it can hold at a given temperature
- Not in my backyard!!!
- storing carbon in a natural sink or a geologic reservoir underground
- contaminants carried by air currents and precipitated into watersheds or directly onto surface waters
5 True/False questions
solar cooker → insulated box that can be used for heating and cooking in developing countries, costs a few dollars
water table → Canada & Venezuela have the largest deposits; an underground sand deposit permeated with a thick, asphalt-like oil known as bitumen. The bitumen can be separated from the sand by heating.
degraded → deteriorated in water quality due to contamination or pollution; makes water unsuitable for other desirable purposes
DO → groundwater contaminant, mainly from leaking underground storage tanks at gas stations
LED (light-emitting diode) → Waste that gives off high amounts of radiation for a short time, or low amounts for a long time; Spent fuel rods and wastes from making bombs