Terms in this set (...)
1. Cornelius Johnson, Melvin Walker, and David Albritton excelled at what track and field event?
2. Who was admitted into the Hall of Fame for being the best hitter in the Negro League?
3. In what year did Joe Frazier defend his title against Muhammad Ali?
4. Willie Mays ended his career in 1974 as a member of what team?
5. Who was the first Black American to lead professional baseball in home runs?
6. Who was the first Black American elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame?
7. What was Earl Monroe's nickname during his basketball career?
8. What Black American sports legend was commemorated by a postage stamp in 1982?
9. Who did Floyd Patterson lose his title boxing fight to in 1962?
10. What was Bob Gibson's earned run average in 1968?
11. Who was the first Black American president of the National Baseball League?
12. What former all-star first baseman became the highest ranking Black baseball executive in 1989 as president of the National League?
13. In 1962, Buck O'Neil became the first Black coach of what baseball team?
14. What was O.J. Simpson's nickname?
15. Boxing legend Joe Louis held the heavyweight crown for an unprecedented (what)?
11 years, 8 months
16. North Carolina University was the starting point for what popular NBA player?
17. Hank Aaron began his career with what team?
18. In what year did Jim Brown lead professional football in rushing?
19. Who was the first Black recipient of the Heisman Trophy?
20. Who was the first Black American quarterback to lead the NFL in passing?
21. In what year did the U.S. Postal Service issue a Jackie Robinson commemorative postage stamp?
22. Marlin Briscoe was the first Black starting quarterback for what football team?
23. Who was the first Black American quarterback to play professional football?
24. What running back surpassed Jim Brown's rushing record of 12,312 yds.?
25. Fritz Pollard was the first Black American to play in (what)?
The Rose Bowl
26. On March 8, 1971, Muhammad Ali lost a 15 round boxing match to Joe Frazier in what was called (what)?
"The Fight of the Century"
27. On October 26, 1951, who knocked out Joe Louis in his last professional boxing fight?
28. What golfer became the first Black American to play in the Masters?
29. How many times did Archie Griffin win the Heisman Trophy?
30. Who was the first Black American to lead professional baseball in home runs?
31. Who became the first PGA-approved golfer in 1959?
32. How many homeruns did Hank Aaron hit in his career?
33. Who was the first Black woman to win an Olympic gold medal?
34. Who was the first Black American heavyweight boxing champion?
35. Willie Mays' famous over-the-shoulder catch happened in a game vs. what team?
36. What pitcher had the lowest earned run average (1.12) in 1968 in a single season?
37. What was Henry Aaron's lifetime batting average?
38. Lynette Woodard was the first woman to play for whom?
39. At the 1924 Olympics in Paris, Dehart Hubbard became the first Black American to win the gold medal in what event?
40. Who was known as "The Big O"?
41. Who became the first Black American woman to sit on the International Olympic Committee?
42. Who did Arthur Ashe beat in 1975 to become the first Black American to win the singles title at Wimbledon?
43. Who was the first Black American to lead the NFL in rushing in 1957?
44. In 1949, who became the first Black American to win baseball's Most Valuable Player award?
45. Wilt Chamberlain set an NBA record for career rebound with how many?
46. What female track star holds world records in the 100-meter and 200-meter dash?
47. What was boxing great Sugar Ray Robinson's real name?
48. In 1988, Debi Thomas became the first Black American to win a medal in the Winter Olympic Games. In what event did she win her medal?
49. Name the sport and position that Gale Sayers played.
50. Jackie Joyner-Kersee won gold medals at the 1988 Olympic Games in Seoul, Korea in what two events?
Heptathlon and long jump
51. When Don Newcombe played baseball for the Brooklyn Dodgers, what position did he play?
52. Who became the first Black woman to win the prestigious Wimbledon singles title?
53. Jackie Robinson was the first Black American to play major league baseball for what team?
54. Who are the only two brothers that ever held the heavyweight boxing title?
Michael & Leon Spinks
55. Wilt Chamberlain scored a record-setting 100 pts. in 1962 while playing for what team?
56. What professional baseball player finished his career with a .310 lifetime batting average, 755 homeruns, and 2,202 R.B.I.'s?
57. Frank Robinson was chosen the first Black manager in baseball's American League in 1974. What team did he manage?
58. Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier fought the first of their three fights in what city?
59. What famous Black American managed the Cleveland Indians in 1975?
60. Jim Brown rushed for 12,312 yards during his nine year career with what team?
61. Who was the first player in NBA history to win both the Most Valuable Player and Defensive Player of the Year awards in the same season?
62. In 1961, who became the first Black starting quarterback in the NFL?
63. Who was the first Black American president of the National Baseball League?
64. What Hall of Fame pitcher once played basketball for the Harlem Globetrotters?
65. Who was the first Black American to play in the National Hockey League?
66. Tommie Smith and John Carlos gained international attention with a racial protest where?
At the 1968 Olympics
67. What pitcher won 51 out of 55 games in the Negro League in 1905?
Andrew "Rube" Foster
68. Who was the only Black American to have scored 100 points in a single NBA game?
69. Willis Reed became the general manager of what professional basketball team?
70. Who was the first Black American to join the Professional Golf Association?
71. Who was the first Black American to win an Olympic medal in 200 and 400-meter hurdles?
George C. Poage
72. What team played against Biddle College in the first Black American college football game?
73. Sugar Ray Robinson won the 1951 World Middleweight Championship in a (what)?
13th round KO
74. In what World Series did Willie Mays' famous over-the-should catch occur?
75. Who was the first major league baseball player to steal more than 100 bases in a single season?
76. Who was the first Black American to play for the New York Yankees?
77. Henry Aaron ended his career with how many R.B.I.'s?
78. What major league baseball hitter won the most batting titles during the 1970's?
79. Henry Aaron ended his career with how many homeruns?
80. In what year did Joe Frazier lose his title against George Foreman?
81. Who was the first athlete to receive Sports Illustrated's Sportsman of the Year award after retiring from his professional career?
82. Why did American sprinters Tammie Smith and John Carlos raise a fist during the medal ceremonies of the 1968 Olympics?
To show a symbol of Black poverty in the U.S.A.
83. In what year did Rube Foster pitch and win 51 out of 55 games in the Negro League?
84. Who holds the record for most points scored in a single basketball game (100)?
85. O.J. Simpson gained how many yards during the 1973 football season?
86. Who led the NFL in rushing in eight of his nine seasons (for a total of 12,312 yds.) and scored 126 touchdowns?
87. What famous baseball player who played for the Oakland A's and NY Yankees earned the nickname "Mr. October"?
88. What position did Doug Williams play in the 1988 Super Bowl?
89. In what year did Emmett Ashford become the first Black American to umpire a major league baseball game?
90. Henry Aaron became Senior Vice President and Assistant to the President of what professional baseball team?
91. Who was the first Black American to play for the Brooklyn Dodgers?
92. What is Leroy Robert Page's nickname?
93. What Black American was once ranked as the number one tennis player in the world?
94. Who did Sugar Ray Robinson beat in the 1951 middleweight championship?
95. For what team was Willie Mays playing when his famous over-the-shoulder catch occurred?
96. Who was the first Black National League baseball player to hit 600 home runs?
97. Who was the first Black American baseball coach to win a World Series?
98. Who were the only father and son to play at the same time on the same baseball team?
Ken Griffey & Ken Griffey, Jr.
99. What NFL player, elected to the Hall of Fame, was the first Black American to serve on the Minnesota Supreme Court?
100. What female track star holds world records in the 100-meter and 200-meter dash?
101. Who was the first Black American to play in the Rose Bowl?
102. During the March 9, 1971 fight between Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier, both fighters received record earnings of (what)?
103. In 1971, Wilt Chamberlain set league records for average pts per game with how many?
104. George C. Poage was the first Black American to win an Olympic medal in what two events?
200 and 400-meter hurdles
105. Lyle Stone became the first Black woman to play professional baseball in 1953 for the Indianapolis Clowns of the Negro American League. What position did she play?
106. What heavyweight boxing champion defended his title against Muhammad Ali in 1971?
107. Jackie Robinson excelled in four sports at what university?
108. Don King is a famous and controversial (what)?
109. In what baseball park did Hank Aaron hit his 715th home run, breaking Babe Ruth's record?
Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium
110. What Black American lit the Olympic torch at the 1984 Summer Games?
111. When Ricky Henderson stole his 939th base on May 1, 1991, whose record did he break?
112. What year marked the Harlem Globetrotters first game?
113. In what year did Dehart Hubbard become the first Black American to win the Olympic gold medal in the broad jump?
114. What was Jackie Robinson' lifetime batting average?
115. Who was the first Black American to play in the Rose Bowl?
116. What was Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's given name?
117. Who did Muhammad Ali knock out in 1974 to win the heavyweight title for the second time?
118. Andrew "Rube" Foster was the founding father of Black (what) in the United States?
119. Arthur Ashe remains the only Black American to gain recognition for what accomplishment?
Ranked number one in men's tennis
120. In 1975, Arthur Ashe won the Wimbledon men's singles title defeating who in the final match?
121. In 1979, what forced Arthur Ashe to retire from professional tennis?
122. In 1968, Arthur Ashe became the first Black American to win what major tennis tournament?
123. In 1992, what prestigious award did Arthur Ashe receive, making him the first person to attain this honor after retiring from a professional sport?
Sportsman of the Year
124. Who was the first Black American to compete in the U.S. Lawn Tennis Association Tournaments?
125. What major tournament did Althea Gibson win in 1956?
126. Althea Gibson was born to sharecropper parents who struggled through the nationwide economic collapse in 1930 known as the (what)?
127. What consecutive years did Althea Gibson win the Wimbledon Tennis Singles Championship?
128. After retiring from professional tennis, Althea Gibson launched what new professional sports career?
129. In 1982, Michael Jordan hit a jump shot in the closing seconds of the game to give what team a national championship?
North Carolina Tar Heels
130. What was the name of Michael Jordan's college basketball coach?
131. In 1993, Michael Jordan led the Chicago Bulls to their third straight NBA championship with a victory in the final series over what team?
132. Michael Jordan became the first basketball player to claim what honors in the same season?
MVP and Defensive Player of the Year
133. In 1993, Michael Jordan won how many straight Scoring Crowns?
134. What boxer gave Muhammad Ali his first professional loss?
135. Who coined Ali's slogan "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee"?
Drew "Bundini" Brown
136. What boxer did Muhammad Ali defeat to earn the heavyweight championship title?
137. What was Muhammad Ali's given name?
138. Who was Muhammad Ali's opponent in the famous "Thrilla in Manilla" fight?
Black History Bowl 2016: Sports
Quizbowl (Sports #4)
Black Quiz Bowl: Sports
SEP 373 exam 2
Arts & Entertainment (AA)
Science & Exploration (AA)
General Trivia (AA)
History & Politics