5 Written questions
4 Matching questions
- Biodiversity is described in terms of genetic, community, and landscape diversity.
- Release of organic chemicals into surface waters is good for the organisms that live in the waters, since the wastes add to the nutrients present for the food chains in the water.
- Which of the following statements about biological diversity is NOT true?
A. Scientists estimate that 10-50 million species exist.
B. Biodiversity is described in terms of genetic, community, and landscape diversity.
C. Biodiversity refers to the variety of life on Earth.
D. Biodiversity is evenly distributed throughout the biosphere.
E. Many species that are in danger of extinction have not been identified and studied.
- Conservation biology supports all of the following ethical principles EXCEPT
A. biodiversity is desirable for the biosphere and humans.
B. all animals have the same rights or legal status as humans.
C. biodiversity has value in and of itself regardless of any practical human benefits.
D. extinctions due to human actions are undesirable.
E. the complex interactions of ecosystems support biodiversity and are desirable.
- a False
- b D. Biodiversity is evenly distributed throughout the biosphere.
- c B. all animals have the same rights or legal status as humans.
- d True
5 Multiple choice questions
- D. A, B, and C are correct.
- D. No; as with all complex systems, it is a matter of proportion; the current trend towards atmospheric pollution is far beyond the Earth's normal low level of natural fires, the effects of which were easily handled.
- C. it contains an unusually high concentration of species.
- B. medicinal
5 True/False questions
The science of collecting, analyzing, and making readily available biological information is
A. habitat restoration planning.
B. landscape preservation.
D. a population viability analysis. → C. bioinformatics.
The use of wheat, corn, rice and other crops derived from wild ancestors is an example of the _______ value of biodiversity.
C. consumptive use
D. climatic regulation → A. agricultural
Sustainable development is a pattern of resource use that attempts to preserve the environment while meeting the needs of humans in the present and future.
True False → B. Keystone species are defined as a population subdivided into several small isolated populations due to habitat fragmentation.
Introduction of alien or exotic species into new ecosystems occurs by
A. colonization when new settlers arrive in an area.
B. accidental transport by ship or plane without anyone's knowledge.
C. agricultural and horticultural activities.
D. All of the choices are correct.
E. B and C only are correct. → D. All of the choices are correct.
The situation with major oceanic fishing areas is
A. good, since the oceans are so large, they are the one remaining natural ecosystem that is not susceptible to extinction.
B. generally positive, with only one or two of the 15 major oceanic fishing areas over-exploited.
C. generally negative, with 11 of the 15 major oceanic fishing areas overexploited.
D. positive for the bottom dwellers that are protected but negative for the schools of swimming fish.
E. negative for the bottom dwellers that are over-fished by trawling but positive for the schools of swimming fish that can easily get away. → C. negative, since a rise of a few degrees will cause them to bleach and become lifeless.