5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- _______ when the number of individuals taken from a wild population is so great that the population becomes severely reduced in number.
A. Overexploitation occurs
B. A source population is formed
C. An "edge effect" occurs
D. Eutrophication occurs
- Which of the following organisms is NOT an example of an alien or exotic species?
A. zebra mussels introduced to the Great Lakes
B. dandelions planted by pioneers as salad greens
C. the mongoose brought to Hawaii to control rats
D. water hyacinths
E. All of these are examples of introduced alien species.
- In spite of hundreds of millions of dollars spent on insecticides targeted at pest control for agricultural and medical purposes, man has been unable to drive any to extinction. On the other hand, the extinction of many species of birds, fishes, plants, and insects species have occurred as a result of
D. habitat destruction.
E. scientific collecting.
- ______ is a phenomenon in which the edges around a landscape patch provide a slightly different habitat than the favorable habitat in the interior of the patch.
A. The edge effect
C. Sustainable development
D. Landscape preservation
- The use of wheat, corn, rice and other crops derived from wild ancestors is an example of the _______ value of biodiversity.
C. consumptive use
D. climatic regulation
- a A. agricultural
- b A. Overexploitation occurs
- c A. The edge effect
- d D. habitat destruction.
- e E. All of these are examples of introduced alien species.
5 Multiple choice questions
- E. All of the choices are correct.
- E. C and D are incorrect.
- B. all animals have the same rights or legal status as humans.
- D. biological diversity is decreasing at an accelerating rate with the elimination of many unstudied species.
5 True/False questions
Rosy periwinkle, the nine-banded armadillo, and some species of fungus and bacteria have _________ value to man.
C. consumptive use
E. no → True
The Everglades ecosystem
A. no longer receives water from natural sources as in the past and is drying out.
B. contains sawgrass prairie and mangrove sloughs.
C. has diverse bird, wildlife, and growing seasons
D. A, B, and C are correct.
E. B and C only are true. → D. A, B, and C are correct.
Preliminary studies indicate that biodiversity maximizes resource acquisition and retention within an ecosystem.
True False → True
Introduction of alien or exotic species into new ecosystems occurs by
A. colonization when new settlers arrive in an area.
B. accidental transport by ship or plane without anyone's knowledge.
C. agricultural and horticultural activities.
D. All of the choices are correct.
E. B and C only are correct. → D. All of the choices are correct.
Which of the following are of extinction?
A. habitat loss
B. exotic species
D. A, B, and C only are correct.
E. A and C only are correct. → D. A, B, and C only are correct.