5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- The use of wheat, corn, rice and other crops derived from wild ancestors is an example of the _______ value of biodiversity.
C. consumptive use
D. climatic regulation
- The greenhouse effect is
A. due to increased sunlight in recent years.
B. caused by increased plant life and photosynthesis.
C. a natural phenomenon due to absorption of sunlight and re-radiating of the heat.
D. a manmade hazard due to decreased levels of carbon dioxide and ozone in the atmosphere in recent years.
E. All of the choices are correct.
- Introduction of alien or exotic species into new ecosystems occurs by
A. colonization when new settlers arrive in an area.
B. accidental transport by ship or plane without anyone's knowledge.
C. agricultural and horticultural activities.
D. All of the choices are correct.
E. B and C only are correct.
- _______ when the number of individuals taken from a wild population is so great that the population becomes severely reduced in number.
A. Overexploitation occurs
B. A source population is formed
C. An "edge effect" occurs
D. Eutrophication occurs
- Forests and other ecosystems may decrease the chances of flooding in an area due to their water-holding capacity.
- a D. All of the choices are correct.
- b A. agricultural
- c C. a natural phenomenon due to absorption of sunlight and re-radiating of the heat.
- d True
- e A. Overexploitation occurs
5 Multiple choice questions
- C. it contains an unusually high concentration of species.
- C. generally negative, with 11 of the 15 major oceanic fishing areas overexploited.
- C. negative, since a rise of a few degrees will cause them to bleach and become lifeless.
- C. acid rain or snow.
5 True/False questions
Biodiversity "frontiers" are areas that
A. have high rates of extinction.
B. lack diversity.
C. have many more species than formerly thought.
D. are replacing native species with exotic species.
E. are fragile in comparison with other ecosystems. → C. have many more species than formerly thought.
Sustainable development is a pattern of resource use that attempts to preserve the environment while meeting the needs of humans in the present and future.
True False → B. Keystone species are defined as a population subdivided into several small isolated populations due to habitat fragmentation.
Which of the following statements about biological diversity is NOT true?
A. Scientists estimate that 10-50 million species exist.
B. Biodiversity is described in terms of genetic, community, and landscape diversity.
C. Biodiversity refers to the variety of life on Earth.
D. Biodiversity is evenly distributed throughout the biosphere.
E. Many species that are in danger of extinction have not been identified and studied. → A. Tropical rain forest land contains rich soil that is desirable as farmland.
The Everglades ecosystem
A. no longer receives water from natural sources as in the past and is drying out.
B. contains sawgrass prairie and mangrove sloughs.
C. has diverse bird, wildlife, and growing seasons
D. A, B, and C are correct.
E. B and C only are true. → C. a natural phenomenon due to absorption of sunlight and re-radiating of the heat.
In spite of hundreds of millions of dollars spent on insecticides targeted at pest control for agricultural and medical purposes, man has been unable to drive any to extinction. On the other hand, the extinction of many species of birds, fishes, plants, and insects species have occurred as a result of
D. habitat destruction.
E. scientific collecting. → D. habitat destruction.