5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Which of the following statements about pollution is NOT true?
A. When the ozone shield is destroyed, excess ultraviolet light reaches the Earth.
B. Water vapor and sulfur dioxide or nitrogen oxides combine to form wet or dry acid deposits.
C. A lake can die due to eutrophication, which is a lack of nutrients.
D. Synthetic chemicals can mimic hormones and cause abnormal growth and behavior in wild animals.
E. CFCs, like Freon, have chlorine atoms that breakdown the ozone shield.
- Which of the following organisms is NOT an example of an alien or exotic species?
A. zebra mussels introduced to the Great Lakes
B. dandelions planted by pioneers as salad greens
C. the mongoose brought to Hawaii to control rats
D. water hyacinths
E. All of these are examples of introduced alien species.
- The use of wheat, corn, rice and other crops derived from wild ancestors is an example of the _______ value of biodiversity.
C. consumptive use
D. climatic regulation
- Biodiversity "frontiers" are areas that
A. have high rates of extinction.
B. lack diversity.
C. have many more species than formerly thought.
D. are replacing native species with exotic species.
E. are fragile in comparison with other ecosystems.
- Sustainable development is a pattern of resource use that attempts to preserve the environment while meeting the needs of humans in the present and future.
- a A. agricultural
- b E. All of these are examples of introduced alien species.
- c C. have many more species than formerly thought.
- d True
- e C. A lake can die due to eutrophication, which is a lack of nutrients.
5 Multiple choice questions
- C. consumptive use
- D. Biodiversity is evenly distributed throughout the biosphere.
- B. Keystone species are defined as a population subdivided into several small isolated populations due to habitat fragmentation.
5 True/False questions
Which of the following statements about extinction is TRUE?
A. Overexploitation by hunting and fishing is the major threat to tropical animals and plants.
B. Without human activity, all species would survive and there would be no extinctions.
C. Endangered wild species often become extinct due to different combinations of factors.
D. Commercial hunting and fishing are careful not to deplete animal reserves.
E. Introduction of new exotic species helps preserve biodiversity and slow extinction. → C. A lake can die due to eutrophication, which is a lack of nutrients.
Penicillin is derived from a fungus and certain species of bacteria produce tetracycline and streptomycin.
True False → True
______ is a phenomenon in which the edges around a landscape patch provide a slightly different habitat than the favorable habitat in the interior of the patch.
A. The edge effect
C. Sustainable development
D. Landscape preservation
E. Eutrophication → A. The edge effect
When the factors causing habitat decline are identified and a procedure is developed to remedy this, it is
A. the edge effect.
B. a habitat restoration plan.
C. a population viability analysis.
D. a gap analysis.
E. landscape dynamics. → E. metapopulation.
_______ when the number of individuals taken from a wild population is so great that the population becomes severely reduced in number.
A. Overexploitation occurs
B. A source population is formed
C. An "edge effect" occurs
D. Eutrophication occurs → A. Overexploitation occurs