5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- all instances of divorce are not negative
- Summary for functions of family
- rates of poverty in us(2010) (NOT ON STUDY GUIDE)
- Baumrind(1973) 4 parenting styles:
- contributions to family dynamics
- a girls in mother headed households;may become more resilient and self-reliant following divorce. High conflict marriages; it may be better to divorce than put children through the stress
- b 15.1%, 46.2 million people in poverty. African americans= 27.4%. Hispanics= 26.6%. Non-hispanic whites=9.9%. Asian American= 12.1%. Under 18=22%. more children in poverty than adults(13.7%) and seniors(9%)
- c family structure and familial relationships have clear impact on child development. family dynamics are central and can overcome many potentially negative factors. Changing family structures do not appear to undermine what was traditionally though to be ideal ways to raise children
- d authoritative, authoritarian, permissive, rejecting/neglecting
- e behavior(direct and indirect effects), availability of social support, development of children
5 Multiple choice questions
- first born; higher achievers(higher"need for achievements"). later born; more popular,outgoing, risk-takers
- maternal employment in US increased from 17% to 72% between 1955 and 1988.
- parent-child interactions is the idea that parents affect children's characteristics, and vice versa. over time, this effect reinforces and perpetuates each party's behavior
- harder for younger children to understands, afraid of abandonment; older children have trouble with adjustment, especially if stepparent
- low SES value conformity in children, high SES value independence and autonomy.
5 True/False questions
influences impact of divorce: stress → economic, social isolation; more irritable, less warm, less consistent parenting, less able to monitor children
high socioeconomic status → more likely authoritarian.
why do we have families? (functions of family) → 1. survival of offspring, 2. economic training/function 3. cultural training
children of authoritative parents are: → lower in competence(social and academic). unhappy and unfriendly. low in self-confidence
Divorce facts → primarily positive effects; more economically stable, pregnancies more likely to be planned, more knowledge about parenting, more positive in parenting than younger parents(but only if first child)