5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Contact with non-custodial fathers (NOT ON STUDY GUIDE)
- parental socialization: 3 modes of influence
- children of permissive parents are
- Summary for functions of family
- impact on self regulation and social behavior (NOT ON STUDY GUIDE)
- a direct instructors, indirect socializers, providers and controllers of opportunities. All parents use these to socialize their children.
- b day care for many hours a day and many different caregivers related to more problem behaviors. Risk of problem behavior increases with # of hours spent, especially in center care
- c frequency of contact not especially important for adjustment. but quality of contact does not matter
- d family structure and familial relationships have clear impact on child development. family dynamics are central and can overcome many potentially negative factors. Changing family structures do not appear to undermine what was traditionally though to be ideal ways to raise children
- e impulsive. lack self-control. low in school achievement. more likely to have trouble in school. more likely to use drugs
5 Multiple choice questions
- low SES value conformity in children, high SES value independence and autonomy.
- authoritarian parenting does not equal negative effects; lower levels of deviant behavior. higher academic competence
- responsiveness; degree of parental warmth. demandingness; degree of parenting control
- authoritative parenting does not equal positive outcomes. authoritarian parenting does not equal negative outsomes
- maternal employment in US increased from 17% to 72% between 1955 and 1988.
5 True/False questions
influences impact of divorce: age of child → economic, social isolation; more irritable, less warm, less consistent parenting, less able to monitor children
Older parents → primarily positive effects; more economically stable, pregnancies more likely to be planned, more knowledge about parenting, more positive in parenting than younger parents(but only if first child)
Maternal employment&childcare: some cases → maternal employment in US increased from 17% to 72% between 1955 and 1988.
Permissive → (high demandingness, high responsiveness) demanding, but warm and responsive. set clear standards and limits,monitor behavior, firm enforcement of important limits
Maternal employment has little impact on childrens development → adequate supervision matter, however long hours can have negative impact on infants' cognitive development if mom returns to work before baby is 9 months old