What do Mechanoreceptors, Thermoreceptors, Photoreceptors, Chemoreceptors, and
Nociceptors respond to?
1. Mechanoreceptors—respond to touch, pressure, vibration, stretch, and itch
2. Thermoreceptors—sensitive to changes in temperature
3. Photoreceptors—respond to light energy (e.g., retina)
4. Chemoreceptors—respond to chemicals (e.g., smell, taste, changes in blood chemistry)
5. Nociceptors—sensitive to pain-causing stimuli (e.g. extreme heat or cold, excessive pressure, inflammatory chemicals)