7 Written questions
6 Multiple choice questions
- Manner of speaking relying on the use of personal pronouns that stresses informality and sym-metrical power relationships
- Smallest unit of sound, as in a consonant or vowel
- A cultural context wherein the speakers of a language are limited as to what they can say or do verbally. A restricted code is a status-oriented system.
- Smallest meaningful unit of sound; a combi¬nation of phonemes
- Manner of speaking where persons say no more or less than is needed to communicate a point
- Sender-focused manner of speak¬ing that is goal and outcome oriented. Instrumental speakers use communication to achieve some goal or purpose.
6 True/False questions
Standard English → Manner of speaking wherein the inten¬tions of the speakers are hidden or only hinted at during interaction
elaborate style → Mode of speaking that emphasizes rich, expressive language
language variety → The way a particular group of people uses language
contextual style → Role-centered mode of speaking where one's choice of messages is influenced by one's relative status in the conversation
affective style → Communication manner where the pro¬cess of interaction is emphasized, placing the burden of understanding on both the speaker and the listener; relies heavily on nonverbal cues
elaborated code → Mode of speaking that emphasizes rich, expressive language