5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Vasco de Gama
- Pequot War
- Humphrey Gilbert
- George Percy
- First Anglo-Powhatan War
- a The Bay colonists wanted to claim Connecticut for themselves but it belonged to the Pequot. The colonists burned down their village and 400 were killed.
- b English navigator who in 1583 established in Newfoundland the first English colony in North America (1539-1583)
- c Governor of Jamestown wrote of colonists extreme hunger
- d De La Warr v Indians, ended in peace settlement in 1614 with marriage of Pocohontas to John Rolfe
- e A Portugese sailor who was the first European to sail around southern Africa to the Indian Ocean
5 Multiple choice questions
- Sociological term used to define the Calvinist belief in hard work to illustrate selection in elite group
- a powerful group of Native Americans in the eastern part of the United States made up of five nations: the Mohawk, Seneca, Cayuga, Onondoga, and Oneida
- Frenchman, founded Calvinism in Geneva... religious reformer
- The constitution of the Connecticut River colony drawn up in 1639, it established a government controlled in democratic style by the "substantial" citizens.
- originated in Barbados but modeled in the colonies, very harsh laws regarding the treatment of slaves
5 True/False questions
conversion → prominent Mass minister, believed that only the spiritual "elect" should have any authority, to become "elect" they have a conversion experience, caused dissension in colony and would eventually lead to the founding of new colonies
Puritans → Protestant sect in England hoping to "purify" the Anglican church of Roman Catholic traces in practice and organization.
Quebec → first permanent French settlement in North America
conquistadores → religious group who settled Pennsylvania - very tolerant and nonviolent
Great Migration → when more than 15,000 Puritans journeyed to Massachusetts to escape religious persecution and economic hard times