Create an account
What is the role of nursing & its four parts?
• Promote and enhance human flourishing
- physical = comfort, holding hands
- psychological = listening, "its okay, I'm here"
- Social = help people get to church/temple
- Spiritual = pray, bring religious people
What are three spirituality needs underlying all religious traditions and common to all people
1. Meaning and purpose = meaning of life
2. Love and relatedness
3. Forgiveness = those that have hurt you or ask for forgiveness of those you have hurt
What is Spirituality?
Anything that pertains to a person's relationship with a non-material life force or higher power
What is Religion?
Refers to an organized system of beliefs about a higher power characterized by set forms of worship, spiritual practices, and codes of conduct
What is Hope?
Is the ingredient in life responsible for positive outlook in even life's bleakest moments
What is Love?
The expression and experience of spirituality in and through connectedness with other people
What are 3 religiously significant daily living habits that affect a patients healthcare?
1. Dietary requirements/restrictions = Ex. kosher
2. Birth control practices
3. Medical treatment = Ex. Jehovah witness = no blood
What are five factors affecting spirituality?
1. Developmental = must have some ability for abstract thoughts
3. Ethnic background
4. Formal religion = authority (leaders of church), text (scripture), Ethical code, Afterlife (what follows death)
5. Life events = both positive & negative experiences
FICA stands for (Assessment : History)
1. Faith (Do you have a faith belief? What gives life meaning?)
2. Influence/Importance (How does your belief influence you life?)
3. Community (Are you a member of a faith community?)
4. Address (How would you like me to address these issues in your care?)
When assessing spirituality what 3 things do you look for in the environment of the person?
1. Texts (bibles)
2. Garments or clothing = head covering
3. Articles = (jewelry = cross, star of David, statues)
When assessing spirituality what 3 type of behaviors do you look for
1. Rituals (last rights, burning incents, prayers, bible reading, meditation, fasting)
2. Mood changes (might be questioning their faith)
3. Family comments = "They are missing going to church", "I'm praying for you"
List 3 Nursing diagnoses for spirituality
1. Impaired Religiosity
2. Spiritual Distress
3. Readiness for Enhanced Spiritual Well Being
The nursing diagnosis used when an individual experience distress because of difficulty in adhering to prescribed religious rituals and/or able to participate in rituals of a particular faith tradition
This nursing diagnosis is the state in which a client or group experiences a disturbance in the belief or value system that provides strength, hope, and meaning life
List 3 general spiritual interventions
1. Meeting the other person (human to human)
2. Provide compassionate presence (focus attention to them)
3. Being available for whatever comes up (listen, acknowledge pain, bear witness, just act on it b/c they probably won't tell you)
List six interventions for impaired religiosity
• Facilitate religious practices within limitations
1. Support visits by spiritual leader
2. Privacy (ex. for visits, men examine men)
3. call on institutional services
4. support their rituals
6. respect articles
List 10 types of Spiritual Distress
1. Abandonment=human presence, no family members
2. Anger=urge expression, accept feelings
3. Betrayal=contact clergy
4. Guilt=urge seeking forgiveness
5. Despair/depression→suicide = contact clergy
6. Fear=explain dying process
7. Meaningfulness=validate accomplishment
8. Regret=life review
9. Sorrow/Remorse=urge expression, validate feelings 10. Depression=sit & talk, ties to humanity
What can be done for a client feeling anger
acknowledge the feeling, urge them to express themselves
What can be done for a client feeling sorrow/remorse
urge them to express themselves, and acknowledge their feelings
What can be done for a client feeling depression
sit and talk with them, help them understand their ties to humanity
What four things can we do for the Readiness for Enhance Spiritual Well Being?
1. Support individual rituals
2. Support faith reaffirmations
3. Support a spiritual life review
4. celebrate individuality
What conflicts with personal beliefs should the ethics committee be called upon
refusing treatment, or insisting on treatment
What are four ethical considerations?
1. Power imbalances between nurse & patient
2. Deep sense of intimacy can blur boundaries
3. Proselytizing is a violation of trust
4. Conflicts with personal beliefs
- refusing treatment
- insisting on treatment
Quality improvement & its four current focuses?
1. difficult to evaluate true issues
2. Current focus
- patient satisfaction
- staff satisfaction
- chaplain referrals
- Completion of spiritual assessments=having clergy be with you
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together