5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Levels of Anxiety (Moderate + 2)
- Process of Anxiety
- Anxiety interventions (Moderate, +2)
- Interpersonal model (Sullivan)
- a coping is not successful in resolving problem or anxiety. New problems develop due to the means of behavior
- b Intervene to decrease anxiety -ventilation, crying, exercise, relaxation techniques.
Refocus attention: relate feelings and behaviors to anxiety; then problem solve techniques. May need medication.
- c Slight perspiration, increased pulse, resp. and BP. Muscle tension, urinary frequency, nausea, anorexia, heart pounding, dry mouth, cold and clammy pale skin. Poor comprehension, selective inattentiveness.
- d Stressor
Neurochemical Psycologic emotional reactions
Coping behaviors (Adaptive, Palliative, Maladaptive, Dysfunctional)
- e Learned behaviors in life to deal with stress
5 Multiple choice questions
- Internal - subjective; Fear, pain, self-esteem.
External- others can view; Illness, injury
Maturational - an expected part of daily life
Starting school, leaving home, marriage, birth of a child
Situational- less predictable, may have warning signs but we fail to notice. (divorce, loss of a job)
- Decrease anxiety, use firm simple direction, seclusion, meds.
Give IM medication; use time-out prn
- General adaptation Syndrome (GAS)
Release of hormones to counter act stress.
Physical and psychological cause additional stress if the cycle
- coping strategies produce long term positive results in dealing with the situation.
- Most symptoms of moderate anxiety intensified. Hyperventilation, dizziness, vomiting, tachycardia, inability to hear or speak, further decreased perception, hallucinations, delusions.
Prepare for flight or fight, reflexes, extreme muscle tension, pacing,
5 True/False questions
Levels of Anxiety (Panic + 4) → Symptoms of severe anxiety, and inability to function, dread, terror, personality disorganization
Actual flight or fight
Palliative → comfort care, temporarily decreases problem, not solving.
Anxiety → Period of disorganization
Failure of usual coping mechanisms, Lack of usual resources
Time: Limited to 4-6 weeks
Suicide assessment essential
Anxiety interventions (Panic, +4) → Guide firmly, assume control physically
Use IM medication, restraints prn
Psychodynamic model (Freud) → Need to control anxiety comes from conflicts between id and super ego